AIRSPEED COURIER

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Re: AIRSPEED COURIER

Post by Motormouse »

Molyned wrote:
17 May 2017, 16:19
Thanks Pete - nice painting there. :agree:
I can only assume that the colour schheme is authentic (because it looks good :) )
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Sister ship was G-ADAX. Scheme is authentic, Ryde Airport long gone, the terminal/tower was a nightclub when I was younger.

Ivan does some good work, his late father was a designer for Miles, and then Britten-Norman.

http://www.ivanberrymandirect.com/blog.htm

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Excellent Pete :excited: - such information as that colour scheme is hard to come by for these vintage aircraft because of course all the photos are monochromes.
Dave M(oly)

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Excellent finds - thanks Pete. :agree: The BAEsystems page is interesting as it claims that the Courier was the first private British aircraft to be fitted with flaps. Hmm, I've found nothing anywhere else about this on either the drawings (not always reliable), or the original 'Flight' magazines of the period.
But then it occurred to me - they might mean that they were the first, as an experimental retro-fit. Note the top header photo of the Courier in R.A.F camo -there is a series of downward facing triangular small fins and what might be flaps behind them . These appendages don't appear on any other Courier photo or drawing at all, just a clean wing.
O.K. onwards, onwards.
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I gather from that BAe flyer that 2 Couriers were used at Farnborough, so if you are really interested & willing to pay the Farnborough FAST Museum librarian a search fee, I'm sure he will find some reports. Thats what I did when researching my Miles Hobby. Curiously those triangular webs don't seem to have anything attached, I wonder if they were supports for a fixed plank to simulate a deflected appendage?
Keith

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Interesting Keith - you could be right about the small fins.
As these and the flaps were not standard, I won't be incorporating them on a model variant - got enough just coping with the various roof canopy mods.
Dave M(oly)