FSX on a modest PC

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

FSX on a modest PC

Post by Paul K »

I took advantage of Amazon's FSX & Acceleration Pack special offer the other week, intending to keep them by for when I get a new computer later in the year. However, this weekend I thought I'd see how it clunks along on my creaky old system, and was pleasantly surprised. There were some stutters at times, but with the sliders set to about half way, the sim proved very flyable.

My specs: Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, 1Gb DDR, Nvidia 6600 256Mb...not what you would call cutting edge.

Here's a few little screenies, with the FPS counter on, just to show what I was getting.

The Maule on finals into London City, something that I thought would eat my FPS, but it wasn't bad at all

Dave's superb Beaufighter ( my first FSX download, by the way ). Still pretty smooth FPS considering the system's limitations...

I was a little concerned about the prospect of only having a VC, but needn't have worried. The default Maule's panel is very clear. This excellent aircraft is going to be my one of my light GA favourites in FSX, I'm sure.

Another of the default FSX Deluxe aircraft, the lovely Grumman Goose over London. Didn't have the FPS counter on in this one, but I thought I would include the picture simply because I like it. The self-shadowing feature of FSX really adds to the immersion when on external view, as does the reflective glass in the windows. Not sure whats going on with those nav lights though... :think:

So, anyone who is still doubtful about FSX can take heart from my experiences, and if you are even half tempted, take advantage of that special offer at Amazon. Here's the link to RAF Quantum's original heads up...thanks John!

CHEERS

http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsim/cbfsBB/vie ... 10&t=13910

:)

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: FSX on a modest PC

Post by jonesey2k »

And once you get some aircraft from RealAir and scenery from Horizon one finds it hard to even look back...
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

jonesey2k wrote:And once you get some aircraft from RealAir and scenery from Horizon one finds it hard to even look back...

:lol: :lol: That was going to be my next thread, Jonesey...whats out there for FSX thats good ?

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

In terms of add-ons available its not even close to FS9, yet.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi

Glad you took advantage of that particular deal. It's back to full price again now at nearly £60 so you got a bargain.

Regards

John

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Paul K wrote:My specs: Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, 1Gb DDR, Nvidia 6600 256Mb...not what you would call cutting edge.
I ran a rig only a little bit better than that (P.4 3.4 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, 6800GS 256 Mb GFX card) for quite a while before I upgraded to my new, more powerful, rig. I was more than happy with the performance and FSX ran a lot smoother than FS9 did especially in MP. You can get by with lower FPS if the frames are smooth and you certainly get smooth frames in FSX, at least that's my findings.
Larry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

RAF_Quantum wrote:Hi

Glad you took advantage of that particular deal. It's back to full price again now at nearly £60 so you got a bargain.

Regards

John
Good grief, I just had a look and you're right; they are now £57.96 and I got the pair for £22.48 ! I always intended to get FSX eventually, so I must again say I am very grateful for the tip, John. A bargain indeed !

Larry, yes, I'm pleased with how FSX is performing on this system. I'll be getting an all-singing all-dancing system in the autumn, and can't wait to see what it looks like with everything slid to the right. :tab:

Jonesey, I've had a quick look through the usual sites, and you are right; the range of add-ons is nowhere near FS9 levels yet. Grabbed a few things however, such as completing my collection of Jens' flying boats, and Dave G's FSX-ready Rapide. Just need to see if the Plane Design Spitfire, Lancastrian and Lancaster work now. ;-)

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Cough Cough, IRIS Vulcan, Cough Cough...

Not a suttle hint at all but one thats going to be a must for any of us Dark Siders

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

The Iris Vulcan is top of my list, Chris. :thumbsup:

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

good good.