VC10 at Kai Tak

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

VC10 at Kai Tak

Post by speedbird591 »

Here we go, then. My trade mark screenshot :lol:

Happily the VC10 and the Fly Tampa scenery work fine in Prepar3d. No shading or shadow issues with the aircraft and I have everything maxed in the sim and scenery and still getting 25 fps. Phew :worried:

Ian :)
Last edited by speedbird591 on 02 Sep 2012, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: VC10 at Kai Tak

Post by TSR2 »

Cracking shots Ian, I must find out what I did as I'm sure I had a Kai Tak for FSX a while ago and have forgotten to reinstall it... I can't remember which on it was though. Was there another one other than the fly tampa one?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I don't know of any other for FSX but there was 9 Dragons for FS9 which was a very good freeware.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think I must be going mad... maybe it was 9 dragons in FS9 I had.... I've hunted through all my old emails and can't find any record of having bought it... but I'm sure I did :wall:

Anyway, I'll get it once I get moved into the new house :agree: :lol:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

A nice couple of shots from the master of Kai Tak himself :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

TSR2 wrote:I think I must be going mad... maybe it was 9 dragons in FS9 I had.... I've hunted through all my old emails and can't find any record of having bought it... but I'm sure I did :wall:

Anyway, I'll get it once I get moved into the new house :agree: :lol:
Hi Ben,
You could'nt find it because as Ian said, it's Freeware!!

Great shots Ian,

perhaps it's me but i find when i am landing a Kai Tak it seems a bit of a rush from the inner marker, where as watching video's of the real approach they seem to have more time, obviously my flying :lol:

Cheers,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I really must summon up the courage to 'attempt the Kai Tak ' ( the simming equivalent of the Cresta Run ). Maybe in a Tiger Moth, just to break me in gently. :lol:

Great pictures Ian...time for another Kai Tak video, methinks, but this time with P3D and your new laptop!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Well, I was thinking, as my bandwidth will be rubbish when I move, I've just gone and got it now :lol:

haven't installed it yet as I'm on the home straight in the Viscount back to Heathrow :agree: :cpu:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

TSR2 wrote:Well, I was thinking, as my bandwidth will be rubbish when I move, I've just gone and got it
OMG! What are you like, Ben? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well. The only way to make a successful landing in a jet on Rwy 13 is to follow the approach chart that comes in the manual. Every time I try a shortcut, I fail. You have to set it up a long way out. You also need to be flying the approach on the autopilot until around 1000ft or less. Fly the downwind leg over the VOR on Cheung Chau island at 8000ft, HDG 270, and start your descent. At DME 7nm from CC you turn right round the end of Lantau island and over Chek Lap Kok to intercept the ILS at around 4500ft. Gear and full flaps early and speed about 10kts above VaT about 2000ft. Disengage autopilot (and auto throttles if in the VC10) and wait for the middle marker audio. When it finishes beeping, wait for about 3 seconds, then start your turn keeping inside the curve of the approach lights and let it drift back to the centre line as you straighten up.

And you should have reset the heading bug to runway heading so when you go around it'll be easier to set up the autopilot to climb out for your next run. If you make a tight climbing right turn over Hong Kong island you should be able to get back over Cheung Chau at the required heading and altitude for another run. This saves time for practising. Or you could set up a saved flight with your aircraft already overhead Cheung Chau.

Ask Dave - he's seen Tonks do it in the real VC10 simulator!

Oh - I don't know about videos Paul. I've installed fraps but can't get it to run and can't find any helpful suggestions on the web. There's something it doesn't like about my laptop but I haven't figured it out yet.

Last edited by speedbird591 on 03 Sep 2012, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Well... Installed Kai Tak in FSX, moved it out to my shared scenery folder and put it into FSX and P3D. Its superb. I went through my WOAI files and replaced VHHH with VHHX and then realised I'd never gotten round to doing my BOAC long haul AI flight plans, so I'll need to sort that one out. Anyway, I haven't done an approach yet, just a few take offs...

ImageImageImage