Oz Watching

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Oz Watching

Post by Paul K »

Mike, it will be interesting if you do get a response from the Hudson operators at Temora. Personally, I think if there was that sort of difference in fuel flow readings, it would indicate a problem that needs sorting out, including replacing pipework, filters etc. My experience with flowmeters was that they were pretty reliable, even with the heavy dirty stuff like Bunker C fuel oil for ships. I think it's a problem with the model, rather than something intentional. I've looked at the aircraft.cfg and there's nothing that can be adjusted there - maybe a guru will drop by and advise me if anything can be done.

Simon, yes, I saw that. Might get it at some point. Milton is a giant amongst men. I loved his Dash 7 and Spartan Executive in FS9 and FSX - two of the best freeware aircraft ever made, I think. I'll certainly keep an eye on that thread.

:cheers:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Paul,
I DID get a reply today :excited: but unfortunately, Andrew hasn't answered what I asked. :wall: I tried him again:

Hello All,
I visited the Historic Flying website, but your email appears there, so I hope that I'm in the right place.
I would like to know whether: when fuel pressure is equal for each engine, is the fuel flow to each engine identical, or whether pipework and position of sensors gives a different reading.
Hope that you can help me with this.
Kind regards, Mike
to me

Hello,
I received your question with regards to fuel pressure on the Hudson. The engines used on the Hudson are Wright R1820’s which use pressure injection Carburettors. The carburettor requires a constant 15-18Psi fuel pressure to function correctly which is normally supplied by the engine driven fuel pump or an electrically driven pump for starting or in an emergency. The gauge you are asking about I assume is the one which displays this pressure. It does not vary with fuel flow and remains constant the entire time the engine is running.
Regards

Andrew Bishop

to Andrew
Hi again Andrew,
Having read your reply, I think that you may have interpreted the question differently to my intent.
As I understand, there is one gauge showing pressure for both engines, and two gauges showing fuel flow for each engine individually.
The query was whether the flow was identical when the pressure was identical. Perhaps your instrument panel is differently configured.
Kind regards, Mike

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

HI Mike,

Thanks for your efforts. Just to confirm, the fuel pressure is the same for both engines. It is the fuel flow to each engine that differs, and while both flow rates rise and fall with the throttles, the difference between them is constant.

It'll be an error with the sim model. I doubt Simon would have put it in deliberately.