Slapping on some paint

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Okami
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Slapping on some paint

Post by Okami »

With Molyned's excellent new Oxford, I decided to pick up the paintbrush once again. I was a bit rusty after two years of not repainting, but eventually I managed to turn out this little Finnish gem.

Still haven't 'grimed her up', so she still needs a bit of work before I release her from her hangar...

Okami
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Slapping on some paint

Post by Okami »

A second attempted repaint is yet another 'scandy' Oxbox: 'Danish Air Taxi', or to give it its proper name, TRANSair A/S of Kastrup, Copenhagen (not to be confused with its Swedish neighbour Transair Sweden AB of Bultofta, Malmo on the other side of the Sund) owned three Oxfords and two Consuls at various points, the first arriving in 1956 and the last being retired in 1961/1962. Unfortunately, of its five Oxboxes, three were written off while the remaining two were unceremoniously dumped and (probably) burnt in 1962/1963.

Still very much a work in progress, OY-FAP shows one of the airline's three Oxfords; it was used, among other things, to fly newspapers from Copenhagen to Bornholm off the Swedish coast. OY-FAP started out as HM957 before being transferred to the Danish Air Force; after being demobbed, it became Transair's second Oxford, serving from 1956 to 1961. A picture shows her in a very sorry state at Kastrup in 1962, stripped of her engines, instruments and nosecone, lying on her belly in the grass in a corner of the airport.

Part of her repaint is guesswork, as some pictures appear to show the Transair Oxfords with registrations darker than the airline titles, while other pictures seem to indicate both were the same colour; some pictures also seem to indicate there was a colour demarkation between the wing's upper and lower surfaces while other pictures show the wing was in a single colour. I'm also not entirely certain about the upper wing registration's location.

But I'll get there in the end, I guess...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Well, there was plenty of wood in them for burning! :(

You have been busy, Okami, finding and altering layers has never worked for me, but then, I've only used basic paint programmes, and I probably wouldn't do better with more sophisticated tools anyway. :$

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Excellent work 'Okami' :agree:
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Okami
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Okami »

Hi Dave,

Glad you like them! Still some work left to do on them, but I think they may be up this week (if the contracters working on the street don't accidentally cut the internet again - took them three days to repair last week...)

Hi Airspeed,

Well, I did start out with MSpaint a couple of years ago, but that wasn't all that useful for layers, details and... well, anything repainting, actually.

Luckily there are a good number of freeware 'photoshop equivalents' out there; personally I use GIMP 2, although the version I now have differs substantially from the one I previously used.

A couple of years ago I did a number of textures for DH-89s; I was in the middle of making a set of Icelandair textures (or more accurately 'Flugfelag Islands H/F') when one of my HDD's packed up, taking my FS9/FSX and flightsim texturing programs with it; luckily I saved the projects elsewhere and managed to save the most relevant files. Might be an idea to revisit them, actually.

Okami
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Okami »

Still haven't been able to complete the paints due to a family visit, but I did see an Oxbox today.

Airspeed Oxford O-16 of the (former) Belgian Air Force was built as MP499 for the Royal Air Force. She was transferred to the Belgian Air Force in July of 1947 and served until January of 1960, the date when the last eight of 42 Oxfords delivered were struck off charge. O-16 was one of the 'lucky three' - she, together with O-19 & O-27 survived the breaker's yard; the latter two respectively became OO-DEC and OO-DUC on the civilian register. Both 'DEC' and 'DUC' sported a striking livery in their short civilian careers; OO-DEC (ex-N4771/O-19) came to grief in 1962 when her hydraulic system failed, and she hit a ground vehicle while performing an emergency landing at Chièvres Air Base in Belgium; while OO-DUC (ex-MP430/O-27) was abandoned at Lille-Marcq Airfield in 1965 and subsequently scrapped.

O-16's odd appearance is due to an unfortunate incident : even though she had a minor mishap - coincidentally also at Chièvres - in 1958 when her gear inadvertently retracted, the incident that left her without a nose is a much more recent one: during recent renovation work in the museum, a workman accidentally backed a forklift into her nose, leaving the plexiglass bombardier's window broken. This already happened a couple of years ago, but the restoration team hasn't quite gotten round to restoring her yet...

O-16, OO-DEC and OO-DUC definitely feature in my 'to do' list...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Good to see a survivor, Okami. ;) Thanks!
Is the display far from home?