Exploring X-Plane a bit

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Exploring X-Plane a bit

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, yes the DA62 is the Aerobask one, lovely to fly, I will not be making many purchases of aircraft or scenery for the time being as need to save up for VR. That also includes for the time being purchasing True Earth Washington which will be out in June but at a price: £38.20 and the optional HD Pack will be an extra £8.15 though they have written that:
We recommend a PC with an i5/i7/i9 class CPU clocked to at least 4.6GHz or higher and a Nvidia 1080 class GPU with at least 11GB OF VRAM to use the HD Pack
Now I could run that HD pack but to get the best from it I think you would need at least a 4K Monitor and I run mine on 1280X1024 so do not think that (fore me anyway) buying the HD version would make any difference from an eye point of view.

In fact I may just stay UK flying even though Washington is very good and I am tempted but then there will be a need to join up other areas next to it and before long you would spend well over £100. Not to mention the lack of disk space without having to bigger!! :doh: I don't honestly think Babs would be too happy with me pestering her for another 2GB SSD!! :hide: More information here:https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/171 ... ouncement/

I am always on the lookout for new releases of free-ware aircraft and utilities, BTW do you have BetterPushback? If not then it is well worth having large and light aircraft will be pushed by tug from the gate/parking space to a position you set.

https://github.com/skiselkov/BetterPushbackC

Video of how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ryM2rARX8k

Regards
Nigel.
Last edited by Nigel H-J on 30 Apr 2019, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

I have been playing with the X Plane demo, and it’s growing on me.

After years of FSX/Horizon UK VFR and Treescape, I’m looking for something a bit more up to date. Unfortunately the JF UK VFR Scenery just released is quite frankly awful, and I would be happy to invest in X Plane and the True Earth GB.

Trouble is, although X plane flies well on my lowly set up (even with the sliders maxed) I can’t seem to pan the view around the cockpit without “slow juddering” …...and this is going to be a showstopper.

Can anyone suggest any settings I could try to solve this?
Thanks

Colin Bear

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Colin.A few days ago I also downloaded the demo onto my fairly modest pc and have noticed the same effect when panning as well as the slow pan rate. I’ve been tweeking the set ups to see what fps I can get( only about 20ish so far) and adjusting for my CH Products Yolk and pedals as well as my monitor. It’s a bit early yet to decide whether to buy it or ditch it. As my pc is less than two years old, a replacement is not an option.I’ll continue to watch this thread and give an update later. Best wishes EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Colin, Eric, just came across your post and hope the following helps. You do not mention what your computer specs are but do you get this juddering in areas where there are not many objects on the ground or all the time?

I had an i5 with 8 Gb RAM and an NVidia GTX 760 but had to keep the sliders down to ensure smooth frame-rates apart from Number of World Objects which was maxed out as that is run by the CPU, the ones' to the left are run by your GPU (Graphics Card) so you may well have to reduce visual effects to around High (HDR) or even lower, Texture Quality may also need to be reduced as well as Anitalaising so it may be that you might have to try various settings to see where you get the optimum performance for your computer.

I am not saying that this is the cause but may be linked, just worth a try to see how it performs after changes.

Below is a screen shot of my present settings as giving a good performance and eye candy, I could run it all at maximum settings but from reading a post by John Venema he gave these settings as best optimal performance for ORBX Scenery.

Equally, the above may not necessarily be the cause, I have found a post on joystick hat switch view being very slow and lower down some members have given some tips which may also be helpful.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... ally-slow/

Hope the above helps, if not then come back and I will have a search around.

Regards
Nigel.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Nigel. I’m not at home just now but some of settings look familiar. Some interesting info on the link that you posted.
Basically my pc has an i5 processor, 8 meg ram and a Geforce 1060 gpu with 3gig ram. I’ ll keep bashing away at it next time.
ps the demo is stored in my desktop which is on C drive, a 256 gig ssd. If I do buy the full sim I was wondering whether to install it on my D drive which is a 1Tb hdd. It’s still early days yet anyway. One thing is certain, I’ll never stop using fs9 with all my add ons! EricT :hello:
Edit Forgot to say that yes, there were few objects on the ground. I did notice that selecting ‘Draw Parked Aircraft’ there was a definite tendency to stutter when departing KSEA.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Ah thank-you this makes more sense now!

My PC is an i5, 8 Gig of Ram and a GeForce GTX 750. I was getting good frames (high 20s/low 30s) but it seems I had the slider for number of world objects set to minimum (thought it was a bit sparse!!). I have now set it to your recommended settings and I’m getting low 20s, but it seems to fly OK, quite smooth, even in the F4 at high speed and low level…..except when I pan around inside the cockpit. Outside panning is ok.

The speed of panning is definitely an issue…. I will have a read of the link and see if there is anything that can be done to speed it up.

The scenery also seems very hazy…. Is this something to do with the location? I notice the UK VFR shots look very crisp and rich.

I’m not giving up yet, but my FSX/Horizon VFR/Treescape/UK2000 and a shed load of aircraft (many of which I can’t seem to see decent XPlane versions of) is going to take some beating for now. That said the ORBX stuff looks amazing and may be the tipping point!!
Thanks

Colin Bear

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Colin. Yes I thought the scenery was rather hazy and insipid. I was starting to it might have been a monitor issue but obviously not. I’ll try it again tomorrow. :) EricT

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Colin and Eric, just a bit more information and help regarding panning around. Quite easy to change the panning speed on your hat switch.

Go to the controls menu and bring up your joystick now press the hat switch button you want to assign say for instance pan up at the bottom of the list of commands click on custom then you will get what you see in the screenshot below:

Once you have clicked Edit type in the search box Rotate in the screenshot I just selected at random Rotate View Pan Right Fast

and keep following the same procedure to assign other commands onto your hat switch, hopefully this will solve the problem for you.

The scenery also seems very hazy…. Is this something to do with the location? I notice the UK VFR shots look very crisp and rich.
What you are seeing is the default settings for X Plane, to improve the crisp and rich textures you have seen in screenshots is due to add-ons that X-Planers have purchased to make it much better such as Skymaxx, xEnviro, UltraWeatherXP. I don't have any payware weather programmes but instead use a free-ware enhancement pack. For the screenshot below I am just using FSE along with Re-Shade. Though I also have True Haze which, when used with The other ones' I. have listed below just adds a bit more depth to the weather.

Links given below but one thing about FSE, I did not install the clouds or water, the clouds to me were just a bit over done so having backed up the folders before installing I was able to restore the clouds back to the default ones. Do make sure that you make a copy of any folder that you are adding FSE to, it is installed manually and the instructions are very easy to follow. Reshade is also extremely easy to use along with FSE and does not interfere with any settings in X PLane 11, to uninstall it at any stage just delete the folder Reshade-Shaders which will be installed into the root directory Do not touch the Shaders Folder found in Resources that is X-plane shaders.

Real Haze: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -plane-11/

FSEnhancer: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... 41411-fse/

Re-Shade me which works in tandem of FSEnhancer:https://reshade.me/

Just downloaded Real Haze as this has been updated.

Must try this without FSEnhancer and Re-Shade tomorrow and also with reduced visibility. If you compare these 2 pics to the one above in-cockpit that does not have Real Haze installed you will see the difference this has made. Will have to play around a bit with different visibility settings.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Me again, just tried a comparison with default weather in X Plane 11 and with Real Haze installed. On both screenshots the weather is set the same as is the visibility at 60 miles. I had also deleted True Haze and FSE as well as Reshade from X Plane. Would have got better result out of the cockpit but you don't fly that way so did it from inside!

X Plane Default Weather.

Real Haze installed and nothing else.

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

A few over London this afternoon. I've bought X-Vision and I'm going to experiment with settings that might eliminate the blue haze effect. But for now, just some quick pics.