Exploring X-Plane a bit

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Exploring X-Plane a bit

Post by Paul K »

I'm still finding my way with XP, but am very impressed with it so far. A few pictures, all flying over the demo of Orbx's True Earth GB.

AeroBask's superb Robin. They are a payware company, but this is a free gift:

Inside the Robin's VC. I've never been overly keen on glass cockpits, but this could grow on me:

The freeware Project Yak-18T:

Looking out from the Yak;

Early summer evening at Southampton airport. I love the lighting and reflections. Notice how the service vehicle's red tail lights are reflected by the aircraft, just below the cockpit side windows:

At night over Orbx TE GB Southampton, Portsmouth and on the horizon, the Isle of Wight. The combination of True Earth and X-Plane's night environment is spectacular.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Exploring X-Plane a bit

Post by Nigel H-J »

Excellent screenshots Paul, the Robin is a great aircraft and handles very well. Pleased you are enjoying X Plane 11 and every time I see screen shots of it I find the need to get airborne! :lol:

Are you going to buy TE UK at some point in the future?

Don't forget that you can also add Avitab for free for the Robin which you can get in the link below. Very easy to install and it sits over on the right hand side so when flying this aircraft I often sit there, makes a change form the left hand seat and the default map is brilliant. By the way, it also shows your frame rates as you fly along.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... tegration/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 16:29
Excellent screenshots Paul, the Robin is a great aircraft and handles very well. Pleased you are enjoying X Plane 11 and every time I see screen shots of it I find the need to get airborne! :lol:

Are you going to buy TE UK at some point in the future?

Don't forget that you can also add Avitab for free for the Robin which you can get in the link below. Very easy to install and it sits over on the right hand side so when flying this aircraft I often sit there, makes a change form the left hand seat and the default map is brilliant. By the way, it also shows your frame rates as you fly along.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... tegration/

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel, and thanks. :)

Yes, I'll definitely be getting TE UK, as soon as a sale starts. Having flown over the demo area for the last couple of days, I don't think I could be with out all of it. I'll also get some of the UK airports too - I notice FTX Central is already applying the cross-platform discount for those that I have in P3Dv4. It's all very clever I must say, and while I do have some gripes with Orbx, there's no denying the quality of their work.

Thanks for the Avitab tip - that looks just the job, so I shall grab and install this evening. :thumbsup:

By the way, the KLM 737 pictured above is the Zibo mod one - have you got that ?

:cheers:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, don't yet quite know when the next sale is on with Orbx but would assume it may be the summer, if like me you are a pensioner i.e. over 65 years then Orbx do a 20% discount but when applying for this you do have to send them proof of age.

I don't have the Zibo 737 though should think about getting it at some stage, the 737 that I currently have is a free-ware one which is made by EADT.
https://www.x737.eu/

Though at the moment I am too busy flying light aircraft and of course the King Air as I much prefer to fly at around 1,000 - 3,000ft just to view the scenery. :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I think they often have a sale in May, so I'll wait till then before buying TE. I am retired, but 62 at the moment, so no discount for me yet :lol: I might also get TE Netherlands.

I think I'll stick with freeware aircraft for now, as there seems enough of a variety available to keep me happy. However, one of the pay-ware planes that's calling to me is this:

https://www.flyjsim.com/727

:cheers:

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

Hi Guys & Gals, I don't log on much but keep an eye on what's going on most days!... :hide:

I have also just invested in X-Plane, but missed the 20% OAP discount :'( ...Very impressed, but have an awful lot to learn being an "occasional simmer". I've managed to down load the Yak-18, brilliant!! and also, as I live in Lymington. Hants, the Orbx free demo of my locality is a real eye opener, it took ages to download, but well worth the effort....I hate to think how long the download will be if I decide to opt for the "full monty" :)

At the moment my main problem seems to be my mouse is not working all the buttons/functions on the 3D cockpit properly, I need to read all the help etc on the forum + Utube, both of which are a mine of useful information to try and resolve it. I have managed to configure my fairly basic Cyborg flight stick but still need to do a bit of "fine tuning".

Overall I think it just might get me back into more time on the sim which can only be a good thing 0:)

Gina
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Gina, glad you're enjoying XP. I know that area well - I often used to stay with friends in Brockenhurst and Sway, and sat some exams at Warsash Maritime college. Lovely area, full of very happy memories, and possible a lot more that I can't quite remember - too many good pubs !

I really recommend Q8Pilot's Youtube channel if you haven't visited it already. He's done a load of XP videos, which include reviews, set-up recommendations and tutorials. A thoroughly nice bloke too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/oalabdullah1/featured

If you can't find answers there, come back and ask Nigel H-J. He is our XP guru, and will sort out any problems you have. :hide:

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

Paul K wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 11:45
Hi Gina, glad you're enjoying XP. I know that area well - I often used to stay with friends in Brockenhurst and Sway, and sat some exams at Warsash Maritime college. Lovely area, full of very happy memories, and possible a lot more that I can't quite remember - too many good pubs !

I really recommend Q8Pilot's Youtube channel if you haven't visited it already. He's done a load of XP videos, which include reviews, set-up recommendations and tutorials. A thoroughly nice bloke too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/oalabdullah1/featured

If you can't find answers there, come back and ask Nigel H-J. He is our XP guru, and will sort out any problems you have. :hide:
Thank you so much for the link Paul, I've got a free day tomorrow (not sure how I used find time to work!!) to apply myself to a bit of "stick time" and check out those videos :thumbsup:

Re Lymington/New Forest, I moved here in May 2015, and the best move I ever made :thumbsup:

Thank's once again Paul and I just might need to :poke: Nigel H-J if I can't find answers on line :worried:

Gina
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ahem, (cough) nearly choked on my coffee when I read that Paul!! :lol:

OK, ladies first, Gina, when you wrote:
At the moment my main problem seems to be my mouse is not working all the buttons/functions on the 3D cockpit properly
Is this happening on the default aircraft? There are a number of switches that do not operate on some of the default aircraft such as the MD 80 737 etc. or are you finding this occurring on payware aircraft? If so I will have a look around on some of the forums to see if I can find something to help you, just let me/us and that includes Paul!! :poke: know.

Regarding pensioners discount Gina you have not missed it, I have given a link below where you can apply to Orbx for the 20% discount but wait until you get confirmation from Orbx that you qualify before making a purchase, once logged in to make that purchase it will show the discounted price.

If Orbx are doing a sale with 40% marked off the price you do not get the 20% discount also but it is well worth applying as us pensioners need to save our pennies!! :lol:

https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us ... r-Discount

Regarding the downloading time for Orbx, it took me (if memory serves me right) about 4 hrs but that included installing time as well, if you can then start the download at night and in the morning it will be ready or like me, I started the download at around 08.00hrs and was ready to fly by the afternoon.

Back to you Paul, :poke: That 727 also had my eye but that will certainly now have to wait quite a bit as saving up for VR. I only have at present two payware aircraft in X Plane the DA62 and the King Air, most of my flying is either default or freeware, with some of the default one's some members have updated them to either look better inside or make them fly better and one of my favourites is the Beechcraft Baron 58. Two links for you on improvements to it below. Have to add that I really like the default MD80 and fly that more than the 737.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... on-101zip/

This one below is certainly well worth downloading but after loading it up a message comes up saying: 'Error loading the aircraft package' and goes on saying that the aircraft may not look correct. Just ignore the warning it happens all the time you load it up but the difference inside the cabin is brilliant, no more the high headrests and better seating.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -nacelles/

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

HI Nigel

I assume your DA-62 is the Aerobask one, yes ? That was the subject of another of Q8Pilot's reviews, and very nice it is too. I'm not going to buy any aircraft for the time being ( except the 727 if there's a sale and possibly the Alabeo Waco YMF5 ). I've got the free Zibo-mod 737 and I'll get that mod for the Baron too. The XP budget will be going on True Earth UK before anything else, along with some of the airfields.

So, any and all freeware add-ons and utility recommendations will be gratefully received. :cheers: