A Bit of This and a Bit of That

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

A Bit of This and a Bit of That

Post by Nigel H-J »

Between MS2020 and X-Plane 11

Screenshots of MS2020 were taken from the video that Peter had linked of 9 Cities. I have tried to take the screenshots from X-Plane 11 as close as possible from the screenshots of the MS2020 Video just to put them as a comparison.

One thing to note is that MS2020 graphics are much better in my opinion, but this may be due to probably being done in 4K as apposed to my settings of 1920X1080 but see what you think anyway as I could always redo it in 4K. 8)

Just wanted to see the difference between the two namely Orbx and it appears to me that MS2020 have a greater number of properties and may be more realistic with placements of buildings than Orbx TE. Click on pictures for clearer view.
Southampton

In X-PLane I had to zoom out quite a bit to ensure the scenery could be compared properly but my aircraft is there but further away!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Re: A Bit of This and a Bit of That

Post by Aharon »

I see the new problem in MS2020. MS2020 is using so much realism that ground is dark if the clouds are blocking sun shine. look at comparison between two flight sim platforms in screenshots showing runway approach

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Aharon,

Yes, I’ve been testing the alpha and the sunlight breaking through the clouds and striking the ground is superb, particularly if there’s been a storm and some of the ground is really dark, but the sunlight breaks through.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

Nice comparisons Nigel, especially as it's just across "The Forest" from where I live. My main "beef" with Orbx TE are those awful uniform grey roads, apart from that I'm very happy with it and spend many happy hours meandering in my PA28 on VFR flights across the mainland.

I think MS2020 could be on the shopping list next year when it's had time to bed in....and I've robbed a bank to get a new :cpu: ;)

Thank's for posting :)

Gina
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I wonder if some of the apparent darkness is HDR? I know that in P3D the bloom effects with HDR makes some odd darkening, especially when looking from inside to outside. It's part of why I finally turned it off.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Gina and good to hear from you again, I think the roads in X-Plane 11 TE UK are much better than when they were a very light colour but one problem is that single carriageways are all the same width so you cannot really tell whether it is A Class or B Class minor roads.

Another thing regarding the buildings is that my settings are at maximum but there does appear to be quite a lot of buildings missing when compared against MS2020, also when doing this comparison I did not enter any clouds as I find the ones' in X-Plane 11 are terrible but the shadows are not as dark as in MS2020.

Regards
Nigel.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Good work Nigel and a good aid to those yet to decide.

I fly most of my stuff from my local airport at Bournemouth and do get annoyed at the road colouring in Orbx TE.

I liked the contrast on the M27 motorway on the approach to Soton, it is correctly modelled in 2020 as concrete, but where are the roadworks? :hide:

Thanks again,

Nev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thought I would add another but this time focusing on cloud shadows. As you see the shadows are much lighter than that of MS2020 but again, I think this could be altered by using add-on clouds but suits me.

where are the roadworks? :hide:
I have the same problem as you Nev, they are currently three quarters through building an Eastern Bypass in Lincoln, but not in TE!! :((

Regards
Nigel.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

How did you get MS2020 anyway????? *-) *-) *-) *-)

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Aharon wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 15:07
How did you get MS2020 anyway????? *-) *-) *-) *-)
Probably signed up to be on the 'open beta' team at the right time.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.