Could not resist a sale.

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Could not resist a sale.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Carenado have a sale on at X-Plane.Org and had been looking for one aircraft to buy which ultimately ended up with me purchasing two.

One aircraft that has interested me was the TBM 850 but that was released 23 July 2016 which means it is getting on a bit and has not been updated recently but there is one that has received a number of excellent ratings the Hot Start TBM 900 but for me the price is a bit steep at $64.95 which is roughly £49 Sterling so elected to go for the Carenado PC 12 HD and am really very happy with it, a wonderful aircraft to fly and max cruising speed is just short of 250Kts indicated so a bit of a sporty feel about her when flying!! :lol:

I was not going to buy another one but decided since it is there I will grab it, the S550 Citation II, really well modelled in the cockpit and have a lot to learn but just wanted this one for regional airports that are not used by the larger jets. Again, this flies really well and you can as with the PC12 really grease it in on landings.

PC12

Nice large cabin for the passengers

Lovely Cockpit especially as it is not a glass cockpit which I do not really like.

First flight just north of Cardiff Airport.

Citation II

Citation Cockpit is really well modelled.

Passenger cabin also well done.

Now off to :rtfm: which I hate doing!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Could not resist a sale.

Post by Scorpius »

Good luck with the manual, Carenado are not reknowned for them. Found what I needeed on youtube.

Nev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Good luck with the manual, Carenado are not reknowned for them. Found what I needeed on youtube.
:lol: :lol:

Just found out but hey, found this channel on You Tube by SOG Pilot, when going through the checklist in the video he had text to speech working so it was basically as though the co-pilot was running through the list. Now I did not know that X-Plane supported text to speech for checklists but now I do wohooo!! :excited:

One of his posts answering a question regarding text to speech!!
To set up a checklist in X-Plane, follow the below instructions. The text is converted to speech automatically by X-Plane as you toggle through each checklist item. The checklist can be displayed on the screen, or removed from the screen for voice-only checklist toggle.

Using a Checklist
X-Plane has the ability to display a simple checklist in the simulator. This checklist must be stored somewhere in the X‑Plane directory as a plain text (‘.txt’) file.

To load a check list, open the File menu and click Open Checklist. Click on Load New Checklist and navigate to your ‘.txt’ file. Open it and you will see the checklist displayed line-by-line in the checklist window. You can use the forward and back buttons to go to the next and previous lines, respectively.

If you prefer to see the text file all at once (rather than line-by-line as in the checklist view), you can select Open Text File from the File menu and then load a file in the manner discussed above.
Then the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNJTNHRlzA

Regards
Nigel.

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

Great tip about the text to speech in X-plane, I didn't know it could do that :wall:

I've been looking at the Citation II as well Nigel, so I'll be interested in how you find it.

TTFN
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Always hard to resist a nice plane when the sales are on - dangerous times! :Dance:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Glad that you're hapy with them, Nigel.

I don't know what it is about Pilatus aircraft, but somehow they all look like the propellor doesn't belong; it's as though it's been stuck on after the build. :dunno:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I've been looking at the Citation II as well Nigel, so I'll be interested in how you find it.
I have only flown it a few times but it does require a lot of research as the manuals are not as thorough with the systems. As an example:

To change the primary navigation source, you need to press NAV SRC button, then select VOR1
using the UP/DOWN keys and then press NAV SRC button again.
To adjust the CRS or HDG you just need to scroll over the wanted knob.

Can't find the wanted knob!!!! :doh: But it is there somewhere!! :lol:

Quite a bit of YouTube viewing ahead but the more I fly it the more I am liking it. I had looked at the Carenado 390 Premier 1A but something inside said go for the Citation. As I wrote earlier there is a lot to learn especially starting the engines as after pressing the start button and waiting for the engine to reach around 20% you have to then release the catch down the side of the throttle then push the throttle lever forward to open the fuel valve and the engine spools up nicely and repeat the same on the other engine.

Again, the more I fly it the more I like it especially after watching some of the You Tube Videos with the real aircraft as well as X-Plane users.
I am very pleased with it.
Always hard to resist a nice plane when the sales are on - dangerous times! :Dance:
When the next sale comes Brian, I will have to give it a miss. :lol:
I don't know what it is about Pilatus aircraft, but somehow they all look like the propellor doesn't belong; it's as though it's been stuck on after the build. :dunno:
I think that the Pilatus has a better nose job than the TBM 850. *-)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/Socat ... vkRaPvM%3D

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Tony, hope I got your name right. Did another flight in the Citation but just circuits around East Midlands and now I have sorted out the problems of the CRS and HDG knobs they are down with the auto-pilot between the seats however, I always have them on my hat switch but did not work on the Citation until I realised that I had copied the MD Rotate settings to the Citation and with the Rotate MD80 the Heading and OBS are set up differently to other aircraft :wall: Now I have re-assigned the Heading and OBS as I have done to other aircraft and it works a treat!!

I am really getting to like this aircraft a lot now I have found my way round the cockpit and looking forward to my first A to B flight as soon as I have completed a few more training flights.

Let me know if you do get it Tony. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I have both the PC-12 and Citation (but in P3D) and while I agree the manuals aren't great, thankfully, both aircraft have pretty extensive free resources with checklists and performance numbers available and the planes operate closely enough. There are also some pretty good mods available for both, but I don't believe they're X-Plane compatible that fixes a lot of the shortfalls and adds some nice functionality to the FMS and panel that are missing.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris, I am finding both aircraft have enough already to keep me on my toes but will look around for any mods once I have a bit more experience on them. Flew from East Midlands down to Shoreham at 20,000ft and the flight only took 35 minutes in the PC 12 then across to Elstree at 6,000ft and will remain there until tomorrow.

Tried to get speech working in X-Plane without much success however, came across this which has been updated in June this year, have installed it but not yet set up any checklist so will be busy typing them out as text files and see how I get on.

Anyone with X-Plane 11 and is interested you can download here:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... inmac3264/

Regards
Nigel.