Must Really Get a Life!!

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Must Really Get a Life!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

Could not resist buying this in the Steam Sale, had Dirt Rally for a number of years but got fed up due to the way the cars handled but this.......It is a completely different animal..............Dirt Rally 2. Spending more time driving than flying at the moment!!

Getting ready for the start of the second stage in New Zealand, no time to clean the car and had come first in the previous stage with no damage.

Different story and all ended up a bit of a mangle wreck in the rain, 'orible conditions to drive in.

Now practising trying to keep on the track with rear wheel drive, really need a good mechanic for set up advice!! :wall:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Must Really Get a Life!!

Post by TSR2 »

You need a Metro 6R4 :Dance:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

That looks like a lot of fun! :)

Brian

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I had/have Dirt Rally 2 (not currently installed) and it was a lot of fun. What I do have installed is Dirt 4 (Note: no rally in the name as it is a slightly different game), it's more rally based and true to the older style rally games and a lot of fun.

I finally won the career mode a few weeks ago (on pretty basic realism settings) so I guess the next time I play it (too many other things going on at the moment) I will have to up the ante and start again with harder difficulty levels. *-) :worried:
Larry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

You DO have a life, Nigel!
And a fun one at that! :lol:
I have some racing programmes around, but haven't done ANY simming for months. Might have to try a new video card next year. *-)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

You need a Metro 6R4 :Dance:
Now that is a car that would literally fly around the stages in Dirt Rally 2 Ben however, for me, I am only using the likes of the Mini and older front wheel drive cars to get used to rallying in anger again!! :lol:

Hi Larry, :hello: I saw that this game was only £10 in the sale and could not resist it having been only released last year so it is fairly up-to-date in everything I guess but had a look at Dirt 4 and that has also impressed me especially that you can create your own stages and make them easy or hard!

What I like about Dirt Rally 2 is that it covers Poland, New Zealand, Australia plus many more and there is the added stages for Scotland as well as Wales which featured in the original Dirt Rally. Being Welsh, my favourite is the Severn Rally Stage very demanding but satisfying if you get it right.

Incidentally, I do not have any vehicle aids on when driving such as anti-lock braking traction control etc.
I have some racing programmes around, but haven't done ANY simming for months. Might have to try a new video card next year. *-)
Mike, I always go for games that have been out for a minimum of 12 months as in that time they will usually have got a lot of teething problems (which never seem to come to light until released for sale!) :wall: Apart from that the price is usually around £45 upwards whereas much later it will almost be selling for much less.

In tie Just Flight will release the 146 Professional for X-Plane 11, even though I want it I will just sit back and wait until it comes up in a sale much later on before buying, being on a pension with no over-time is a nightmare!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Nigel H-J wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 13:19
Being Welsh, my favourite is the Severn Rally Stage very demanding but satisfying if you get it right.
There was a time in the late 70's when I used to marshall at Welsh rallys. A good friend worked for the Post Office telecom training college and thus could join the Civil Service Motoring Association which was like the AA or RAC for government workers and the CSMA had a very active sporting section. It was through him that I would get invites to marshall at events too and as the Welsh border was only a 45 minute drive away the Welsh rallys were obvious choices to marshall at. It was great fun being literally inches away from the cars on the stages and we finally progressed to being on the stage start/stop timing crews.

I once got an invite to participate in the famous RAC Rally one year but unfortunately I couldn't take up the offer as the position was as a mid-stage marshall (basically a corner or junction marshall) on one of the night stages in the Kielder Forest in Northhumberland. It meant I had to be at the event start location by 8 pm the night before to be ready for the first cars through the stage at midnight and then I wouldn't be able to get off the stage until 8 am the next morning. As this was on a weeknight there was no way I could manage it and be at work the next day (I lived at least a 2-3 hour drive away from the rally location too) so I had to decline. :(

Hanging around rally cars/drivers was a lot of fun for a couple of years though. :thumbsup:
Larry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I was a member of the motor club at Hawker Siddeley in Broughton during the early 70s. We ran our own events and partnered other local clubs in organising their events. If not competing I would be out marshaling. I rallied an Anglia and later a Hillman Imp. The Castrol Welsh rally was the only international event at the time local to us (Although it usually started in Cardiff) taking in the North Wales forestry stages I remember marshaling on a Dyfed stage when Roy Fiddler was in the 240z. The noise of him coming through the forest and passing in a gear higher than anyone else still gives me goosebumps
Some of the guys were members of Chester Motor club that were active in the rally scene and also into racing at Oulton Park where I was invited a few times to marshal
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Larry, Dale, how I envy you actually being part of a motorsport which sadly does not attract the same sort of attention now as it probably did during the last century. Maybe rallies are quite popular on pay to view rather than on Freeview but I well remember the times when Jimmy McCrea raced winning a number of rally championships as did his son who sadly died in a helicopter crash along with his son and 2 family members. :((

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I remember Jimmy McRae, Russell Brooks, Bertie Fisher in the Opel Manta 400’s. They were masters of tarmac. Tony Pond in the 6R4 (look on YouTube for his flying lap of Isle of Man in a Rover 800 fastback) - link below. And let’s not forget Carlos Sainz senior (father of the rather good F1 driver) who is still an exceptional Rally driver, winning the Paris Dakar last year for Mini at 58 years old.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?vie ... HenJiJVLNQ
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage