Barton - Is this the ultimate test in the UK?

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Barton - Is this the ultimate test in the UK?

Post by Jetset »

Decided to have some fun, and attempt to take the 748 fully fuelled into Barton airfield near Manchester. Barton, if you don't know, is a small grass runway airfield, surrounded by pylons etc. A feel it's a tricky place to land in a C152, never mind a 748.

Just turning finals, with the Trafford shopping centre (I think) behind.

Going for the widest runway of the two.

Keeping it low, but those trees could cause a problem.

What must the neighbours think?

Down! Brakes on, throttles all the way to idle, prayer being said!

Well we made it.

I assume they are discussing what they will charge for a landing fee. Come on chaps, I am only a multi engine aircraft, £15 tops!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Many a time have I stood on that platform in real life watching the action :lol:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nicely done Jetty :wink:

What is it with Gary Summons and trees :shock: He does tend to put 'em in the most unlikely places :curse:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

DaveB wrote:Nicely done Jetty :wink:

What is it with Gary Summons and trees :shock: He does tend to put 'em in the most unlikely places :curse:

ATB

What......like the Amazon Rain Forrest???? :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now there I'd expect to see the odd one or two :wink:

Been flying out of his Old Warden recently and realised how incorrect it actually is. Reason being.. I wasn't able to turn onto the runway in the particular tail-dragger I was in so my first thought was the diff braking wasn't strong enough. After comparing the UK2000 Old Warden and a shot from Google Earth.. the reason become blindingly obvious.. fences and trees where there shouldn't be any :-$ Most infuriating!!

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Good skills there mate. I know that would have been very tight in real-life. I remember attending the Barton air shows as a nipper. It all seemed so much bigger then. Mind you that was when Cream Eggs & Kinder surprise eggs were the size of footballs! :doh:

Nice shots BTW.
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

The ultimate UK test

Post by hobby »

Part of the RAF requirement was that the aircraft should be able to take off from very unprepared strips.

On 29th January 1962, in a competition with the HP Herald, the airfield at Martlesham Heath was ploughed up and on a rain soaked surface with a 12,000lb disposable load G-ARAY took off. Two circuits later the aircraft repeated that feat on one engine!!! It says here p21 - "Avro 748" by Harry Holmes pub 2000AD by Tempus

Despite mud and stones the aircraft came through undamaged and the load was increased to 15,000lb asnd GARAY took offf from the ploughed surface successfully thus beconing the chosen RAF aircraft. A contract for 31 machines was given.

How can one try that in FS9?

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

It certiainly is Gary's scenery. I must admit, I did think it was a bit odd to see those tress on finals so close to the threshold. Anyway, gives the engineers something to do to take the branches out of my undercarriage.

Before I get any complaints, :huf: I Jetset, am not saying that engineers don't usually do anything, I know you are a busy lot and we couldn't fly without you. :wink:
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

dswanson
Trident
Trident

barton

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

I've got in to Barton a few times with a Sea Vixen, but I cheated using Rob Barendredt's Arrestor thingy .... :roll:
Regards,

Degsy

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

A nice sequence Jetty...I enjoyed it. I've never actually been there but have vague memories of seeing it from Vanguards or Tridents when going into EGCC :smile: