More EGLC/A318 Pics

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

d0mokun wrote:They're some pretty sharp shots you've got there CB!

I'm looking forward to the bigger Airbus adventure next week, though ;)

Dan.
Let's face it, if they could get the 380 into LCY, that would be REALLY impressive. :lol: :lol:

AndyG

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

CB, If your videos are raw AVIs or MPEGs off your camera, run them through windows Media Player (assuming this isnt on your list of programs you wont touch :roll: ) and you'll be amazed at hte compression you get for very little loss in quality. Recommended format for saving are "High quality video large/small".

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

It is an AVI file but video editing is beyond me. I don't use Media Player either so how do I go about reducing it's size?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

CB, using Windows Movie Maker is dead easy...

Open Movie maker go to File ->Import into Collections and then choose your video clips from the dialog box. During the importing, WMM may chop the video up into smaller bits if it thinks theres a large change in what is being depicted between two frames.

When you are done importing, simply drag and drop the clips from the large white pane in the centre to the filmstrip ("Timeline") at the bottom. Then if you go to File -> Save Move File , you can export the filmstrip as your WMV file. Its that easy. If you want to edit bits out, you can use the viewer on the right (do this before dropping the clips onto the filmstrip). Right clicking on clips in the filmstrip will allow you to add effects to them (such as fade in or out) and choosing a transition from the transitions collection in the drop down list box and the top centre and dragging and dropping this between two clips in the film strips allows you to do things like fade from clip to another.

When saving, the size is determined by what file format you choose. Rather like saving a JPEG (only with more options, each one basically using a slightly different codec - at least thats my understanding of it!). It will tell you what size it will be and how many FPS. It will also show the bitrate and estimate what size the file will be. As for hosting, you could try that "putfile" that Jonesey uses or failing that I could probably host it, providing its not >20MB.

Hope this helps.

Windows Media Player doesnt allow for any editing of clips.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Really? I thought the IAE's were identifiable by the RB211 style cowling.

Oh well you learn something new every day. Still looks good though :smile:
Last edited by jonesey2k on 16 May 2006, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

Couple of points:-

1) I understand the landing procedure is different from usual whereas, the crew have to press a couple of buttons on the Overhead Panel so that the Autopilot can follow the steeper glidepath applicable at City Airport. Additionally, the outer spoilers extend automatically slightly but retract prior touchdown then, re-extend fully together with the rest. Also, there are additional automatic call-outs from the Autopilot.
Maybe worth enlightening PMDG so that they can build this additional approach mode features onto their new Airbus add-on?

2) Does the A318 use reverse-thrust when landing at City Airport? since, understood this was forbidden there.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Thanks Toby.

Jonesey.... you can see the P&W logo on the engine. Thats what made me look it up when i got home, because I didn't know what they were.

Here are the vids. The quality has dropped slightly with the reduction in size. You'll have to excuse the first video. I was setting up the camera with my monopod about 15 mins before it was due in. I then looked up and there it was on approach. I didn't have time to extend the monopod any further and so I ended up holding the camera with the the monopod attached to the bottom. With the wind that day, it ended up moving around a fair bit.

Landing

Takeoff
Last edited by Charlie Bravo on 15 May 2006, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

crisso wrote:Couple of points:-

1) I understand the landing procedure is different from usual whereas, the crew have to press a couple of buttons on the Overhead Panel so that the Autopilot can follow the steeper glidepath applicable at City Airport. Additionally, the outer spoilers extend automatically slightly but retract prior touchdown then, re-extend fully together with the rest. Also, there are additional automatic call-outs from the Autopilot.
Maybe worth enlightening PMDG so that they can build this additional approach mode features onto their new Airbus add-on?

2) Does the A318 use reverse-thrust when landing at City Airport? since, understood this was forbidden there.
1/ Correct.
2/ Incorrect. The 318 uses reverse thrust as does the Emb-145 and most of the biz jets. All of the prop aircraft use reverse pitch as well. The only things that are restricted at LCY in terms of noise, are running the APU and doing engine runs. Permission has to be sought for both.

andy

Post by andy »

Nice vids Chris. Thanks for posting them. :smile:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

andy wrote:Nice vids Chris. Thanks for posting them. :smile:
Thanks mate :cool: