More EGLC/A318 Pics

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

Thanks 'Charlie Bravo' for the correction on the 'Reverse Thrust' status at London City. (I must have been thinking about the BAE 146 since, wasn't that the first jet to use it? and thought it had set the 'benchmark' for jets landing there.)

Also, thanks to Chris for the video footage of the A318.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Nice one matey, you really are a one man production company! Glad I didn't come with you, Esso snack and shop is too rich for my blood! :lol:
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Mate, theres a burger van next to Esso, I could have dropped you off there :wink:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Crisso... not sure whether I have read your post right, but the 146 doesnt have reverse thrust. It decelerates using the large overwing spoilers and the tailcone spoiler.

Re the P&W 6000 series, it looks like a baby RB211 / IAE V2500 mainly because it has a common nozzle for the hot and cold streams, the purpose of which is to reduce noise by mixing the two flows prior to them entering the environment. There was some delay and problems with the engine as, IIRC, management dictated that they should build hte compressor with 5 stages rather than 6 that the engineers wanted to go for. Obviously 5 is simpler and cheaper to build and maintain and saves weight, but the fewer stages you have, the greater pressure ratio (and therefore stage loading) across each and the lower the efficiency is likely to be. I dont think it was meeting promised efficiency with the lower number of stages and I'm not sure how they got around it!? :think:

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

I remember flying into London City on my first ever trip to London in a British European (A couple of years before it became fly BE) BAe 146 that the Captain came on the PA system to say that we were on a very steep approach for noise abatement.

I can also remember seeing aircraft approaching with the tailcone spoilers deployed before they were actually on the ground!!!

Anyway, it turned out to be the second best landing of all the flights I've been on. The only better one was on an Ansett Australia (Now bust) B737 at Maroochydore airport, Queensland. It was so good my mother slept right through it. Spoke to the pilot too. Nice chap.

Oh and speaking of London City, I found this at Avsim: london_city__scenery_161480.zip
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

BT, the approach into EGLC/LCY in a 146/RJ is 5.5 degrees (as opp. to the usual 3 degrees to somwhere like LHR or LGW) I think it used to be a collosal 7.5 degrees on the DHC Dash 7! Yes the 146 does open its tailcone prior to landing, I think the power is kept on till quite late though to balance this (need to check :think: ). Main reason for the steep approach as I understood it was for obstacle clearance, especially on the Rwy 10 approach. Equally though I suppose noise abatement (and the lower power required to decend at a steeper angle) would certainly be of benefit to those working in the tops of the towers in Docklands!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Indeed they do keep the power on till late. I've also seen some very heavy landings at LCY by 146's and a couple of stonkers by Fk50's as well.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

BT

The tailcone airbrakes opening before they are on the ground is not unusual in the 146

In fact it's quite normal at some airports perhaps most and F.28 Fellowships were the same.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Great vids CB many thanks for that I do like the look of the 318. Re the 146 tail cones yep I concur they are often deployed just prior to landing.
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Cheers Tony. Hows things with you.... PC running ok?