Stream Landing...

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Stream Landing...

Post by petermcleland »

I thought I would fly "Echo" today and join with the F-16s for a little Stream Landing exercise:-

I scrambled in "Echo" as soon as they appeared on radar and here I have joined in to lead this section as we come onto the downwind leg for Runway 31.

They won't turn in till I'm on finals, so I'm breaking left now as if to start down...

...but I've cleaned up and accelerated to do a stretched loop back into the stream.

I've been stretching the top of the loop here and watching the leader on the radar. At this point I'm starting the pull down to drop in behind number two...Gear and flaps going down.

The radar blip with the square round it is the guy I'm going to drop in behind. The blob below that is the centre (me) and the blip below that is the guy I'm going to drop down in front of. The blip near the top of the radar screen is the leader about to touch down. I'm pulling 3 Gs here and don't need the airbrake as the speed is right.

Keeping the G on and the throttle closed till I'm in the right place between the two F-16s.

This is fine...The guy in front is down and I'm bleeding off the speed...Not too much as I want to catch the guy up by the end of the runway.

There is the guy behind to the left of my smoke...I must clear smartly so that he does not have to go around.

Oops! sorry about the ladder...must change my screenshot hot key...It is the same as "WingFold" and as the wheels are on the ground it has installed the ladder!!

Clearing smartly to the right, as the guy in front clears left.

There is the guy behind nicely down with no problems...Worked out pretty well.

A better time for the ladder and a smile for the camera.

Thanks for watching me show off my "Echo" :dance:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Nice shots!
Its fun doing a spot of formation flying with them.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

britishtourer
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by britishtourer »

Peter,

Your shots are always fantastic! Nice to see the echo out in the hands of the master!
"Sir!!! Yellow nosed b******s, twelve o'clock high!!!"

"Break formation, break!!!"

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

how is this done?
I have to try..

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

WoW!

As usual some really, really, cool shots.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

airboatr wrote:how is this done?
I have to try..
Well firstly, the Traffic is all there in the McLeland Field download. I have fitted that Radar to Echo (in place of the radar ranging radar :lol: )...I can give the Panel.cfg mod for anyone that wants it...It comes up as a separate window over the gunsight and you can show it or not, as you like. One could make an intercept without it or just be airborne and in the general area at the time. I choose to scramble from an ORP position I use near runway 31 and intercept, head on, using the radar...I half loop back into them from astern to do a bit of formation flying as they position onto the downwind leg.

You have to intercept them as they are inbound towards your user aircraft...At a given moment of FS9 start, it calculates the position of AI within a rectangle around your user aircraft...It then places them there based on the AI FlightPlan (it doesn't matter what happened to separate them back at their Take-Off because their take-off didn't actually happen as it was outside the user rectangle)...The Flightplan MUST be VFR and the Weather MUST be VMC...If the Weather goes IMC then they will refile IFR plans and therefore will be under Radar control with separation forced as they are vectored to destination.

The F-16s coming into McLeland Field are all on VFR plans, but this can be overridden if you download real weather...For this type of flying it is best to clear all weather in the interests of preserving frame rates for formation flying.

You might be interested to know that those screenshots are from a Recording I made...Of course I had to fly Echo on the interception while recording but the trick then is how to start the playback so that the Traffic is as it was when I flew the sortie...You can see that I was pretty successful and my experiments are getting there. I now have devised a method which is working towards my MagPole exercise. The aim of this is to have nine Hunter Ts intercept, head on, nine F-16s over the North Magnetic Pole...The intention is for me in Echo to pass over this head-on fly through, at 90 degrees, at the same moment over the MagPole...Naturally the result should provide some very interesting and unique screenshots.

I am also aiming to make a Recording of the whole thing so that people can play it back and swap Views, Pan, Zoom etc just as they have done with my other small recordings :smile:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Ill be looking foreward to seeing that!
Its allways a pleasure looking through the screenshots of your adventures ect.

My credit card doesnt like them though! I used to be a freeware only man! :lol: Ive also discovered the delights of general aviation. :smile:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

jonesey2k wrote: Ive also discovered the delights of general aviation. :smile:
Well, that's you hooked then...I know the feeling...I love GA...Getting into an airliner feels like going back to work :-$

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

Absolutely stunning!! What screen capture method do you use?

Regards

Sean

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Avant-Garde-Aclue wrote:What screen capture method do you use?
I use a very old payware thing that I've had since FS98...It's called HyperSnapDX. I'm sure there are many modern freeware applications that do the same thing...I just press a hotkey...for me it is the top left key to the left of 1 and over the Tab, it would type this `. I have just changed my "Wing Fold" key from that one to SHFT+F, so no more ladders at unexpected times :lol: