East Kirkby (56k Caution)

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AlexP
Trident
Trident

East Kirkby (56k Caution)

Post by AlexP »

Hello all,

Having been a silent observer of CBFS for a long time I finally took the plunge and became a registered member
of the forum during the run up to the release of Rick Piper’s HS.748 and Dave Garwood’s twin seat Hawker
Hunters pack.

Having gained so much from this fantastic little forum I felt it only right that I should give something back. So what
follows is a series of photos taken from a resent trip to a museum not far from me, the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage
Centre at East Kirkby, to see Lancaster NX611 ‘Just Jane’ perform a taxi run. Undeniably both British and most
definitely a classic. As you’ll see the weather couldn’t have been better.

There’s little here to suggest that it’s anything other that 1943.

The original control tower is immaculately restored both inside and out.

NX611

‘Just Jane’

I’m really pleased with this shot, although when reduced to a forum friendly size it doesn’t show the detail of all the
rivets quite so well.

All four engines running, although it’s difficult to tell from my photos . . . . . I learnt about shutter speed from that!!!

Bomb doors closed.

Rolling!!!

Turning to face the onlookers.

At this point, with the brakes on, the engines were run up to full(?) power in pairs, inboards then outers for around
30 seconds to a minute each. An incredible sight and sound!!!

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better the process was repeated this time at very close quarters!!!! :shock:

Being this close to a Merlin engine being run at full(?) power is an unbelievable experience and one that I don’t think
I’ll ever forget. The noise is simply intoxicating.

Mission Accomplished.

Possibly of interest to many on the forum is the nose section of Canberra PR.7 WH957…….
……which is open to the public. (Perhaps useful for creating a FS panel?)

East Kirkby is also home to airworthy Spitfire MJ627, which occasionally puts on a flying display.
(Something I’m determined to see on a future visit)

East Kirkby truly is an incredible place, which I urge you all to visit. I had a fantastic time and, in between watching
the two taxi runs and having lunch at the ‘NAAFI’, I spent the whole day looking at the abundant array of exhibits
around the site (including the on going restoration of Handley Page Hampden AE435 :shock: ).

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Excellent shot's Alex :thumbsup: Thanks VM for posting them :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Helllooooooooooooooooo Just Jane!

Very Nice!

She could bomb me any day!

Thanks for the shots and welcome!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Re: East Kirkby (56k Caution)

Post by mulletman »

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

They put a big olde smile on my face, just what i needed on this gloomy weekend. Thanks for sharing.
AlexP wrote:All four engines running, although it’s difficult to tell from my photos . . . . . I learnt about shutter speed from that!!!
My dad has this photo of some Heli's that look as if thier rotor blades have stopped in mid air! :shock:
Image Image
Yes...and... I Like my Boeings.

OneMacGuru
Meteor
Meteor

Post by OneMacGuru »

Great place for a day out. For a truly memorable experience, try and get across to one of their night taxis. Not much good for photography but the sounds, exhausts, flames etc.

Every schoolboys dream...

The impression NX611 made on one little chap!

Al

Lincs Aviation Heritage Centre details here

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Helllooooooooooooooooo Just Jane!

Very Nice!

She could bomb me any day!
Really Jetset........The idea of this thread is to admire the aircraft......not what is attached!!!!!!!!

Thanks for those shots Alex, I went to see Just Jane on a night taxis....... to see the sparks emitting from the exhausts as the throttles opened up was a sight to be seen........and I went away afterwards with my ears still ringing!!!!!!!!

Remember when Just Jane replaced 'S' for Sugar at Scampton in the Seventies, went to view it in one of the hangers whilst awaiting assembly and then took a tour inside her once assembled and placed as Gate Guardian until her final recall.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

d0mokun
Trident
Trident

Post by d0mokun »

I've been on board that one when I was researching for the Lanc project (WoP).

Have they changed her noseart? I remember her (and my camera confirms this) that Jane wore red, not polka dotted underwear!

Lovely shots of a lovely bird.

KR
Dan.

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

Nigel H-J wrote,
Remember when Just Jane replaced 'S' for Sugar at Scampton in the Seventies,
Yes I saw NX611 in her role as Scamptons Gate Guard on a number of occasions whilst passing on the A15. I find the progress that's been made since those days quite astounding.

Whilst at East Kirkby I bought a DVD about Just Jane from the NAAFI/Gift Shop. A good section of it showed her performing her historic tail up fast taxi runs for the BBC on what remains of the main runway. Quite incredible stuff!!!

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

d0mokun wrote
Have they changed her noseart? I remember her (and my camera confirms this) that Jane wore red, not polka dotted underwear!
Well spotted, all is explained here:

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news_and_images.cfm

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Terrific pics Alex, thanks a lot. :smile: