First Impressions of FSX SP1

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

First Impressions of FSX SP1

Post by ChrisHunt »

I just posted this at Avsim - I don't think I need to add anything else.

First the good:

1. Getting good frame rates over rural/light urban areas of 40 (locked at 40) where previously I would be lucky to get 30.

Now the not so good:

1. Also getting fairly frequent heavy stuttering (FR drop to 3 - 5) especially on turns but noticable over an airfield (scenery complexity set to sparse). This was not evident prior to SP1!

2. There are clearly some problems remaining with water bodies, rivers and narrow channels - see water separating Wales from Anglesey in the UK.

Settings:

Low to medium, no autogen. Changing settings within limits (e.g. not putting sliders all the way to the right) has negligable affect on stutters. Stutters occur in default and add on aircraft.

First impression - increase in frame rate very welcome but on this evidence SP1 has to have a thumbs down. Note that all previously published tweaks removed as I did a complete reinstall of FSX prior to installing SP1. Also defragged drive that FSX sits on.

Not a particularly happy bunny.

Regards,
Chris

System specs that matter:

AMD 4000+
2Gb RAM
Nvidia 6800GS (256Mb)

snave

Post by snave »

Complete reinstall - did that include deleting FSX.cfg?

Have you defragged the FSX drive AFTER installing SP1.

Have you locked your fps slider?

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Yes - all of the above.

Complete uninstall and reinstall of FSX (including files in "My Documents")
Defrag before reinstall
Defrag after reinstall including after SP1
FPS locked at 40

I'm going to set display stuff to minimums tomorrow and then increase each element in turn to see what happens - I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,
Chris

snave

Post by snave »

Drop the fps lock to 30, or even 20. It WILL make a big difference. Much bigger than it did before SP1.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

It seems that MS have excelled themselves. To reiterate what I have posted elsewhere on this forum,it seems that it might be a good idea to wait for SP2 or beyond before 'upgrading'.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

SP1 works for me. Significant performance improvement across the board. Still after a copy of FS9 though.. :worried: :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Well, I have had SP1 on for about 3 hours now and....................ITS STILL NOT AS GOOD AS FS9
ATB Trev

Erich
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Erich »

But remember, the DEFAULT FS9 was pretty awful. FSX will look pretty spectacular three years on.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Erich wrote:FSX will look pretty spectacular three years on.
Probably about the time I'll buy it.

Regards

Kevin

smithcorp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: First Impressions of FSX SP1

Post by smithcorp »

ChrisHunt wrote:1. Also getting fairly frequent heavy stuttering (FR drop to 3 - 5) especially on turns but noticable over an airfield (scenery complexity set to sparse). This was not evident prior to SP1!
Hi Chris

Did you return the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40 from =400 if you had previously made that change (like me)? Having this at 400 can cause the stutters apparently.

Also, another discovery I made last night was an amazing improvement in smoothness by going to "unlimited" fps. I had previously set this to 25 and got a little jerkiness. Once I tried unlimited, it was like a whole new experience. Smooth as silk, higher frame rates and no noticeable scenery/texture problems.

regards

smith