Controversial post ..... beware PRO Microsoft!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Controversial post ..... beware PRO Microsoft!

Post by DanKH »

I know that this might be sticking a stick into a beehive but here goes:

I think that Microsoft/ACES is doing a great job with FS .....!

Think of it, for 2 or 3 hours payment you get:
The whole world, a good handful of various aircraft to choose from
Adjustable weather
AI traffic, that being other airline traffic, animals, cars, boats, ships etc. all configurable.
A SDK to further dvelve into the mysteries.
A good basis for thousands of developers and even more "standard" users to get started on.

Not many games gives you that much for this price.

They have even gone down a path that very few commercial firms goes by encouraging their developers to blog and mingle with the numerous communities.

At be honest, we are NOT the easiest bunch to satisfy!

And with FS9 and FSX I think they have even proved that they DO take the buzzing serious. Introducing Real Weather, ATC and AI, was quite a leap in FS9, and a whole new community only dedicated to provide flight plans, repaints and additional voices has been born.

Then we argue over the cartoon-like terrain and textures, and that has improved dramatically in FSX. I bet in either FS11 or FS12 we will see further improvement in airport designing, as this has become somewhat a demand to be able to layout real traffic motion in airports, where we sometimes just drop in to "FS-spot". there is already the ability to add or remove various items in the bgl-files for the airports, and more steering-parameters will come I'm sure.

I also believe that MS has contact with more than one "high-level" 3. party developer out there. And by this they also show a dedication to the product.

It is in many ways a very in-expensive product that gives us hours and hours of pleasure, and frustrations agreed, but I think the frustrations is overwhelmed by the pleasures in the big picture.

FS being able to be more and more of a design platform for developers AS WELL AS a funny game for those that just want to "see how it is" is quite an achievement in my opinion.

Well done Microsoft, and I hope that they will continue to expand the possibilities and performance within this magnificent product.

Well now.....shoot me :lol:
Last edited by DanKH on 22 May 2007, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Couldn't agree more Dan.

For the £50 I paid for FS9, I had almost 2 years of fun! Not bad going really. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Well said, Dan. The Flightsim series (imho) is one of the best entertainment values on the market today. It will always have a home on my HD. :smile:

Brian

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

FS9 was such an improvement over all that was before it, well worth the money when you consider the hours of enjoyment, dasly FSX is very much like FS2000 bag of shyte thats not worth the momney or hassle, the screenies are crap and cartoony...FS9 Brill FSX yuk!
so MS got it half right :wink:

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

FS9 was an utter bargain. high quality planes, prety accurate dynamics, an entire highly detailed world, autogen, real world weather, and the ability to form the base for an entire industry and lifestyle.

There is no other simulation/game quite like it

John

Ps you one should be shot for having an opinion :wink:
never give up, never surrender

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Can't speak for FSX, but FS9 has been great value. If I were only allowed one computer game ( if its permitted to call it a 'game') FS9 would be it, with all the great add-ons I've accumulated in 18 months of playing. :smile:

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

I love my FS9 and the various add-ons which I have.When my PC when t!ts up recently I missed my simm so much and had to resort to watching tv.What an utter load of inane sh!te-and I'm paying for that.The last time I renewed my tv licence(1961!!!)'I enclosed a letter to the licensing office to tell them that I was paying under protest.Made no difference,I still had to pay but it made me feel better.LONG LIVE FS9.ATB EricT.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Tomliner wrote:I love my FS9 and the various add-ons which I have.When my PC when t!ts up recently I missed my simm so much and had to resort to watching tv.What an utter load of inane sh!te-and I'm paying for that.The last time I renewed my tv licence(1961!!!)'I enclosed a letter to the licensing office to tell them that I was paying under protest.Made no difference,I still had to pay but it made me feel better.LONG LIVE FS9.ATB EricT.
Don't get me started on British television !!! :curse:

stegs
Trident
Trident

Post by stegs »

In actual fact there has just been a very good programme on about postwar Britain presented by Andrew Marr. A few fleeting shots of DC-4s, Argonauts and Elizabethans

Steve

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Paul K wrote:
Tomliner wrote:I love my FS9 and the various add-ons which I have.When my PC when t!ts up recently I missed my simm so much and had to resort to watching tv.What an utter load of inane sh!te-and I'm paying for that.The last time I renewed my tv licence(1961!!!)'I enclosed a letter to the licensing office to tell them that I was paying under protest.Made no difference,I still had to pay but it made me feel better.LONG LIVE FS9.ATB EricT.
Don't get me started on British television !!! :curse:
Ok chaps, I think it probably beats most the cr*p we get on this side of the pond. In fact, most of the stuff I watch over here comes from over there!

Thank heaven for BBC news otherwise we would never know what is going on in the rest of the world.