New toy coming up

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: New toy coming up

Post by airboatr »

and what where those specs your running vista on?
;)

:lol:
I'm running Vista Premium on a laptop
1.4 dual core
2 gig memeory
120 gig HD
shared memeory 359 on the graphics end
(which for some reason won't go past 148
but I'm narrowing that down.....)
I have all the glass interface off
and it has problems running graphic apps and videos

if I had XP this wouldn't blink an eye to run what I'm doing.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Joe, yep, my home PC is pretty decent, but my work laptop is an HP6400, pretty standard business laptop, with 2GB of RAM, ( all the PC's in work are the same unfortunately) and I use it daily without problem... albeit, I don't have anything graphicly intensive.. but I do have to run Lotus Notes which is (and always has been) a resource hog. The Graphics adapter is the standard on board intel job (crap) but I do run aero desktop, and all the productivity and design apps (Offoce, Notes, Project, Wireshark, Clarity, Visio, HP insight tools... even 3DSMAX.)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Pielstick
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Pielstick »

I got myself a new laptop a month or so ago... Vista Home Premium, DX10 graphics, etc etc.

First few days of using Vista I hated it... "You want to delete this file?".... "Are you sure you want to delete this file?".... "Are you REALLY sure you want to delete this file?"

I did a bit of reading the various guides to Vista that are available online, and I decided to disable "User Account Control" as I am a pretty experienced computer user and I know what NOT to delete or mess around with, and I'm not totally paranoid about security issues... Since disabling UAC I have had no problems at all with Vista, in fact a lot of FS9 addons that are supposedly XP Only work fine in Vista for me. Over the last few weeks it has grown on me quite a bit. Granted it's not really worth going out and upgrading (especially for the home user) as XP is still a perfectly good OS, but if you have Vista installed on a new system it's nothing to start getting worked up about... it works fine!

As for DX10... I've tried a few DX10 titles, including FSX Acceleration and I wasn't impressed at all. I think it's a combination of MS' overactive marketing machine and the fact that DX10 is still in its early days and those DX10 cards available are all first generation and are running what are essentially DX9 applications ported to DX10. Mabye a year or two down the road DX10 might mature into something worthwhile, but I won't lose any sleep over it :)
The two best tools in any engineer's inventory are brute force and ignorance and he should always live by the engineer's motto "Bodge it and scarper!"

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

another adjustment that will speed up vista is to disable the desktop search services.
:)

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

yeah keep winding down the add-ons that vista cripples pc's with and you will soon be back to XP :lol:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Pielstick
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Pielstick »

The backwards compatibility thing was always a fallacy. How much stuff from FS9 actually worked in FSX? How much stuff from FS2002 worked in FS9? How much stuff from FS2000 worked in FS2002? You get the idea... Bloody hell, they have even broken compatibility between FSX SP1 and SP2!

I think the best thing for the hobby in the long run would be a totally new version that has nothing of the legacy code remaining. It would open up many new possiblities and create opportunities to finally overcome old problems or shortcomings. I bet though that the payware developers are crapping their pants at the prospect of a totally new engine. It would mean that they would need to learn new techniques which would obviously take time, and it would mean *everyone* starts from a level playing field :) Still, the new sim would have to be bloody good out of the box as there would be very little, if any third party content for a long time...

Still, it might be a good thing for all of us as it would be a good way to "purge" the hobby of some of the developers and publishers who see it as a cash cow. Imagine if you will a big "RESET" button for the payware industry :thumbsup:
The two best tools in any engineer's inventory are brute force and ignorance and he should always live by the engineer's motto "Bodge it and scarper!"

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Again I must stres something about the backwards compatability issue

it is no good drawing comparisions with 2000 into 2002.....2002 into 2004 etc

There is a difference with the 2004 into FS.X isuuse

Microsoft said FS.X would be backwards compatible with FS.9 they never claimed it on the others

The others I don't expect it to be but I did with FS.X for that one reason....so why do we keep getting told off for expecting or complaining about the failure of the manufacturers promise.

The idea of backward compatability came from MS not the user.

If MS had said.....all new for this one then fine. In reality it's not that, it's just as before with partial compatabilty

I for one wasted many hours on FS developement due to trying to find out why stuff I was making that according to MS would be compatible wasn't....

MS should have made it clear but they smookscreened us into false hopes and that is down to MS.

This issue is the only issue I have with FS.X.........all the rest is down to the other common factor, that is to make full use of an improved you need to upgrade the system....that is not a problem because that is what I expect to have to do.

Make no mistake on what I am saying....FS.X is an improvement over FS.9 and to be fair the comparison should be between the two Sims in an out of the box form.............The fact I can't run it is down to my system which is nothing to do with MS and the relative lack of 3rd party addons...again not an MS issue, although delays in their appearing could well be down to the missleading compat issue.

MS is only responsible for the basic Sim and again to be honest their not controlling the actual production has done them no good.

My hope is that FS.XI will be a new far more improved Sim......I hope that it will have all the bells and whistles one would expect

I also KNOW that is it even goes part way toward how I would like it I could never run it with my system.

I have to remain for now with FS.9 but stuff I am building I am trying to have it work in FS.X as well

So a little support from MS rather than shifting goalposts would have helped.

It matters not how far away the posts are or indeed if the model has to be a completely re animated and re textured version for FS.X..........Just as long as I know what they are supposed to be and then I can get on with meeting that requirement.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Garry, spoken like a gentleman... you are not alone in seeing that all that glitters is not gold, maybe because you do not have FSX like me and hate to admit it is rubbish and you wasted your money, when they release something stating it is the best ever then patch it with a huge patch which by the way buggers up developers... now there is a patch 2???? is this to cure the perfect sim again.... is our goverment behind this as it sounds like the bullcrap lies oops sorry "spin" they pour out every week :fart:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I agree with Tony, but the two of us are starting to sound like a couple of old geezers who cannot understand why all new things are not always better, something true in FSX IMHO. Are people just accepting that FSX is what we have to look forward to and convincing themselves that it is good?

Although it is currently not working on my PC :welldone: I never had any enjoyment from the graphics and unrealistic world that was portrayed in FSX, however, as I said, we (tony and I) are now becoming 'voices in the wilderness'...I wonder why? What has changed..apart from even more change for the sake of change :think:
Is this new platform is a possible way of navigating MSFS away from our workaday PC's?
ATB Trev

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

so will MS learn from this experience and make the sim like it's faithful , loyal customers want??
or continue to follow the bean counters and drive it into the game box world of crap'ola.

maybe they need to skip a release generation to get it together, properly. maybe the developers just ain't got it.

now to be fair , some have suggested (recently Dan) to maybe give developing a try ourselves,
to that i can only speak for myself, thats not my Job . I'm an electrician.
My job is to provide power so the computers and lights work as well as most anything else we depend on ................
with out it , there'd be no programming.
they do their job and I'll do mine , and if a sim comes alomg worth my dollars and time to set it up
I'll gladly fork it over...

as far as I'm concerned FSX and the addons for it will not see my hard drive
All the AC I use work just peachy in a sim that looks just great! FS9.
think of this as seeing a glass half full or half empty as .....FULL
and thank you to all of those that has made it Full.....

cheers to FS9
here here

:drinkers: