Anyone know what's happening with FSNav for FSX?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Anyone know what's happening with FSNav for FSX?

Post by Tweek »

Totally agree with Chris (and Chris!) on this. You only have to look at some of the latest games with the latest engines to see what the Flight Simulator series could, in theory, look and run like. You'll never get to that standard recycling the old sims again and again, though. And you only have to play about in Lock On to see how poor the flight dynamics are in FS, at least with fast jets (and undoubtedly other types). That is one area that needs a major revamp.

What I do hope is that developing addons for the new sim will be easy to grasp, perhaps not too far from the current structure. Leave much of what you can do open to the developer themselves (for example, allowing more than 4 engines... why not make it unlimited?). Things like VTOL, thrust vectoring and proper fly-by-wire characteristics should be included. Perhaps have one or two default aircraft to showcase abilities, and have them as a starting block for third party developers to work from... the latest airliners with fly-by-wire, an older airliner or two for those who like steam gauges, a Harrier for VTOL, your usual mix of aerobatic, GA and amphibian aircraft, an Su-30 or F-22 for thrust vectoring, a V-22 for tilt-rotor technology? Etc, etc, etc...

But then, what's this got to do with FS Navigator? :roll: OFFTOPIC :lol:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Chris Trott wrote:Peter, I wouldn't take that step just yet.
No, Chris I don't intend to take the machine upgrading step till things have advanced well past where we are now. However, I do not believe that FS11 or FS12 and on, will operate with a satisfactory frame rate at launch time...Let alone when loaded with Traffic and Weather...I just know they will be releasing with the same old jump in specs required and my old FS9 with ALL its Traffic, Weather AND add-on scenery is going to scream along while, with the same amount of Traffic and Weather, the newly released FS will crawl with just its default scenery. I hear what your saying and that is what MS would like us to believe, but I refuse to believe it and we will have to wait and see. At least on their new system of "no backwards compatability" there will be nothing to break...FSX just about breaks everything and in the process does not even look better than FS9 :)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

FSX just about breaks everything and in the process does not even look better than FS9
I challenge anyone to find a aircraft that looks as good as the upcoming Hawk in FS9. Proper FSX models are far superior in my opinion. :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes Ben.. but it's a lot of money to fly one Hawk :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very true mate... very true CHEERS
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

-
Last edited by airboatr on 05 May 2008, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

now they they are plainly stating that backwards compatability will not be present in future issues of Flight Simulator
At last Microsoft tell the truth!!! pity they were not as clear as this when they promoted FSX :@
I am not going to give up on FSNAV which in my opinion one of the first things I use when I run up FS9.
Regarding the Hawk, well yes it is very nice and a superb model, but do you sit on the wing all day admiring all them rivetts?? No you fly them and there are some cracking FS9 models out there that are more than capable for FS9.
Anyway you know my thoughts on FSX and the garbage it brings with it, sadly I am one of those that see's the emperor is NOT wearing any clothes :D
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Actually, I'm more interested in the platform of the sim than the aircraft. I never ever fly default aircraft in any version and the payware and freeware aircraft develope to a very high standard as time goes on. What interests me most about any Flight Simulator is the Scenery, Weather and Traffic and again, I'm not interested in the defaults...I use addons that transform all these things into something way superior to the defaults. This transformation depends on the basic platform of the Sim and I think this fails in many respects with FSX. With so many things broken, it is hard for the developers to make scenery and traffic for FSX that looks as good as their developed stuff for FS9. My payware aircraft are mostly Dreamfleet and the freeware aircraft that I actually use all come from CBFS...They are all just excellent and look and perform better in FS9 than in FSX. My payware scenery is mostly Aerosoft and Georender and they are wonderful. I even think that where a commercial scenery is available for both FSX and FS9, the FS9 version looks better.

With all that said, there is absolutely no point in my using FSX because it is just so inferior to MY version of FS9. Now, with the declared intent to drop any backwards capability, it makes more sense to keep adding to my FS9 and from time to time upgrade my machinery when there is a significant new technology advantage in doing so. My Flight Simulator will then get a regular positive boost to the speed that it runs, instead of the regular bi-annual drag down to the lower limits that is such a firm feature of any new version of MSFS :flying:

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Glad to see I am not alone in thinking that FS9 with all the bells and whistles is still top dog.

Well said Peter!

Tuor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Tuor »

I think more competition is needed. There isn't much out there civilian wise (X-plane). I wonder if Olegs follow on to the IL-2 series (Storm of War?) with the supposed inclusion of a mega-detail Sukhoi acrobatic plane and new game engine will change anything?