Aerosoft's FSX Catalina

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Aerosoft's FSX Catalina

Post by DaveG »

Corrupt text like that tends to be caused by running low on video memory :think:
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I see this frequently in FSX (well.. as frequently as I use it!) and I'm running a 512mb card without the sliders fully right. :roll: What in gods name you have to run to see FSX running faultlessly is beyond my comprehension and purse!

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I get the corrupted text if I use nHancer to force certain types of anti-aliasing. Using the standard control panel it's fine.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I'm having some serious fun flying this aeroplane in the newly released Tongass Fjords X :)
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I see this frequently in FSX (well.. as frequently as I use it!) and I'm running a 512mb card without the sliders fully right. :roll: What in gods name you have to run to see FSX running faultlessly is beyond my comprehension and purse!
Strange, I've got a 512mb card (9600GT) and I run with sliders pretty much full right without any problems. Not sure if the quad-core processor and Win 7 are helping a bit there mind.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ker-bong!

I had a moment of weakness and bought the Cat in the wee hours of this morning. While I like the rendering of the VC and the external model, I'm a bit disappointed with the FD (dispite it being authenticated as accurate by current Cat operators). I'm not particularly happy at looking through glass that appears never to have been cleaned.. I don't like the way the nose will 'dig in' on a water landing or alternatively, the rear fuse will go submersible if you tug on the yoke a little too hard (though you wouldn't notice either of these if you were where you should be.. inside)! Most of all.. I get some pretty savage frame hits while goofing. FSX is showing upwards of 30fps when it happens but it sure doesn't look like it. I wouldn't mind so much if I were flying low over London or New York but this was off the NW coast of Scotland with no more than mountains, the odd tree and the sea for company! 8)

It's a smashing looking model with some really nice touches. Plenty of switches for those with a bent for such things and you can make it as easy or as difficult to operate as you wish. However.. had this been 'try before you buy'.. I doubt I'd have parted with any money. A shame really as I didn't expect to be disappointed :( I can put up with most things but the frame hit is a thing too far. :|

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Sorry to hear of your woes, Dave. I do understand, as its only with my new PC that the Aerosoft Catalina has become viable. Exactly the same with other payware I had...the Iris Vulcan, the Captain Sim C-130 and 727. I bought them knowing a new system was in the offing. Salt that Catalina away, and as you constantly upgrade your system, you will come to enjoy it. I absolutely love it, and if I could have only one payware aircraft, then right now it would be the Catalina. Its all things to all men.

:cheers:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul :hello:

Well.. that's all part of the disappointment. The CS C130 runs okey dokey as does every other native FSX aircraft I have :dunno: The Cat causes stuttering that I just don't see with anything else. Seems an E8400 3gig Dual Core and Nvidia 8800GTX (768mb) aren't up to it and as I didn't get this setup that long before Christmas.. it's gonna be a long time before another upgrade :(

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Blimey, there's something amiss there and no mistake. I'd take it to the Aerosoft forums, where they have a dedicated Catalina support section. I agree...with that set-up you should be fine,I would have thought. *-)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. I'll have a wander over ;)

Cheers Paul :cpu:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage