You know what this means, don't you?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: You know what this means, don't you?

Post by Garry Russell »

If they didn't go direct it would probably been Dakar...but I'm guessing

Maybe they went via Freetown which was certainly a destination in the BUA days

I did check the BCAL historical site but it was down *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

TSR2 wrote:I'll have a Super one day and a standard the next :lol: :thumbsup:
The crew will appreciate that. The standard carried a lot less passengers :lol:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ian, can you summarize what you have installed and how you have gone about it ?

Do you have FSX and the Virtual ( Estonian ) FSX folder or just the latter ? If its just the latter, can it take everything, including FTX scenery, and does it impact the functions of FTX Central ?

If you have both FSX and the Virtual FSX folder, are there any conflicts ? What have you got actually installed in P3D , and what do you have installed in FSX and is being pointed to by P3D ?

I am about to delete my FSX installation, which is corrupted, and do a completely fresh installation ...but I'm wondering if that is necessary if I buy the Estonian migrator.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Paul,

Make sure you uninstall FSX first from Ad / Remove programs before deleting any folders. Also make sure you uninstall acceleration first (if you have it) then reboot and then uninstall FSX ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi guys. I've just been a very busy boy. I too wanted to uninstall FSX as it was getting messy with my experimentations. So this evening, following advice from the wonderful Ben, I moved all the add-on scenery that I had in FSX into a separate scenery folder. I then pointed P3D to it using the scenery library, checked it all worked, which it did. Then I uninstalled FSX!!!!

After a few quick flights to confirm that it's all good - as far as I can see - I've come down for a beer. At the moment I don't need FSX so I'll leave it and see....

So, in answer to your questions, Paul. Obviously I have nothing on FSX. On P3D I have only my aircraft. DM's 1-11 and VC10, DG's DH89a, Carenado Centurion, and Captain Sim's 732, 707, C130 and B52.

The scenery in my scenery folder is UK 2000, Fly Tampa and ORBX. The UK 2000 airports let me point the installer to my scenery folder and the ORBX and FT folders I just dragged from FSX before I deleted it.

Out of that lot the only items requiring the Estonian tool were the Captain Sim aircraft. With the tool, you create a single folder that it uses for its magic and tell it where it is and the installer thinks the Prepar3d folder is FSX. You don't need FSX on the PC to use it but read the manual carefully before you use it because I may have forgotten something.

I haven't attempted the A2A/Accusim a/c yet and I haven't reinstalled Tongass Fjords X due to other issues.

Hope this helps, Mr Pathfinder 8) (hiding away in your burrows in Iwo Jima when there's work to be done!)

Ian ;)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Ian, Another random question, At Kia Tak, where did the Ten's typically park up, did they use the gates to the LHS of the RW13 threshold? :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

TSR2 wrote:Ian, Another random question, At Kia Tak, where did the Ten's typically park up, did they use the gates to the LHS of the RW13 threshold? :lol:
Yes. We always arrived on a gate but if it was a terminating service with a few hours turnaround the aircraft was towed out on to the ramp. So the flights that were transitting, i.e. to Tokyo or Colombo or Manila or Taiwan would always be on a gate. Terminating flights would arrive on a gate and depart from the ramp with crew and pax bussed out. I doubt you could program AI to do that :lol:

The jetways were dead clever. Arrivals level was underneath the departures and when the last crew had disembarked the rear of the jetway was raised to the departures level. The AES add-on scenery for Kai Tak actually recreates this.

Off topic, but my heart would sink if we were on the gate closest to 13 threshold. You can imagine how little time we had between pushback and take-off from there. My first flight as a cabin service director on a 747-400 was from that stand and I was confronted with a complicated video system that I'd never seen before and had to show the full safety video, the crew had to check the cabins and I had to give the checks to the Captain in the space of about two minutes! :lol:

ggi
Meteor
Meteor

Post by ggi »

Just to add to the P3D knowledgebase - I also had a corrupt FSX and instead of going through the FSX - SP1 - Acceleration thing, against my better judgement - I removed FSX in total by deleting the FSX folder (not I'm sure recommended - but it worked for me) and defragmenting the hard drive. I did have a few issues reinstalling, but after purchasing the FSX>P3D Estonian tool, I have been able to make a seamless transition to P3D. Downside is I believe that Reality XP does not transfer to P3D (I haven't actually tried it myself).
Only other wish is that P3D does not automatically load your default saved flight. I'd like to see P3D open to a menu select screen for location, weather and aircraft type. Having said that - I also prefer the P3D aircraft menu. The aircraft menu is sorted by the manufacturer as a list, where you then select aircraft type. Personally I do not need a picture of the aircraft to decide whether to fly it or not, although once the aircraft type is selected, images then show the liveries available - which is fine by me!
I have the feeling that MS Flight went wrong here - FS enthusiasts who make up the bulk of the flight simming business were dumbed down to accommodate gamers who need the flash! bang! action! experience, and yes a picture of what a Mustang is probably helps those with no avation knowledge, but most of us here know they come in two flavours - Cessna and North American. Anyway, Microsoft got it wrong because gamers see flight simulation as boring, and weren't attracted at any price - not even free, and the bulk of flightsim enthusiasts didn't jump either, because it appeared to be for gamers...
In my humble opinion the way forward is probably to have FS9 for legacy sims at high frame rates and P3D as a continually developing sim for the way ahead in the future.
Hopefully see you over at P3D soon!!!! :)

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

speedbird591 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Argo ... what's? :lol:

Not saying that VC10s didn't go to AMS, just that I never went there in my six years on them. I can't remember what the hijacked one was doing there.
She was enroute from Beirut to LHR and "diverted" to Schipol being supposedly low on fuel The crew and passengers were allowed off the aircraft after a short standoff, the hijackers setting fire to the aircraft before they left The fire crews were reluctant to board the aircraft for fear of explosives which as it turned out were unfounded
I was working for KLM at the time and took photos of the damaged aircraft the following day, unfortunatly i posted the film to the developers and never got it back The date was March 3rd 1974 The same day as the Turkish airlines dc10 was lost close to Paris.
Dale
Image Image Image

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks for that, Dale. I suppose the answer as to why it was there was in my stupid question 'I can't remember what the hijacked one was doing there'. :lol: It's rather like the Mrs. Merton question of Debbie McGee: So why were you first attracted to the millionaire Paul Daniels? :lol:

I seem to associate something to do with duty free booze in that hijacking. Did they break bottles and use it to fuel the fire or something like that?

I was flying in those days and anti-hijacking training was part of the annual refresher. A 'spook' from the ministry would come down and brief us on the latest threats and how to deal with them psychologically. Stockholm syndrome and that sort of thing. And there was usually a bit of Semtex to pass around and smell so we'd recognise it (marzipan).

It seems quite innocent now. I remember the man from the ministry telling us that the IRA weren't considered a threat to us as we were their preferred carrier :lol: This was before the days of suicide bombers, of course. And before a Trident or 1-11 was found to have an old IRA bomb hidden it during an overhaul (a rumour but not sure if it was confirmed).

Ian :)