Sikorsky S-55 released... Westland Whirlwind coming...

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Sikorsky S-55 released... Westland Whirlwind coming...

Post by spatialpro »

MP Designs have released a new Sikorsky S-55:

http://secure.simmarket.com/mp-design-s ... -p3d.phtml

CBFSIMers will probably want to hold out for the "Westland version" which "will be sold separately".

SOH readers will detect I'm sceptical, in that "Westland version" hints at one model... but in reality there was far more variety of Whirlwind variants than S-55s. Just think of the HAS7 and HAR10... they'd require considerable alterations to the 3D model and the flight model. They would also require good custom sounds for the Leonides and Gnome. I have my fingers crossed though... I'll be over the moon if this all comes to pass...

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

sketchy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Sikorsky S-55 released... Westland Whirlwind coming...

Post by sketchy »

Well I thought, yea the Westland version would be a great addition!

Then I read on..... granted its a review of one, but brutal review there on the Sim Market page!
try anything once, except for incest and morris dancing!!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ah.. good old Matt :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I've always loved the Alphasim Sikorsky S-55, and would very much welcome an up to date one. :) I guess this isn't the one. :(

Brian

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

It's a harsh review that doesn't really answer the question of WTF is it like to fly!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Matt likes to fly helicopters but more.. he likes to paint them.. something he's extremely good at and his review is thus aimed. His comments (and those of the majority I fear) at SoH are based more on his experiences with the MP Designs Gazelle and concerns that the S-55 would be more of the same.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

I have the MP Designs S-55. It is a sheer joy to fly. The flight model is exemplary. Much like the Gazelle it is pretty revolutionary in that respect. I cannot recommend it enough. The VC is also nicely detailed (it blows the old Alphasim model out of the water!).

The niggle is with the use of materials, or rather the lack of them. There is no specular and no bump mapping. They don't seem too clued up on the use of Alphas either. To many seasoned simmers this harks back to FS9 days. Reluctantly I have to agree.

Through the wonders of social media (!) I've established a line of communication with MP Designs. When it comes to real life helicopters they sure know what they're talking about... more than 99.9% of simmers I'd guess... members of their team are Gazelle and Mi-8 pilots. In the case of the former it would be kinda like SkippyBing designing a Lynx HAS! ;) However, unlike most their mesh designer doesn't work in Max or GMAX (or even Blender I don't think), but in something entirely different. This then has to be ported into an FS model. I get the impression the designer is not a simmer either. Somehow the need for other materials hasn't been communicated to him... until now! Chatting to them I made the need clear and within a couple of hours I was getting experimental renders of an S-55 with spec and bumps! Even their first attempt looked great.

Trouble is I don't think they are currently putting their efforts into making an SP for the S-55 or Gazelle, or even making headway on the Whirlwind... Their sales have been sooooo slow they have formed the impression it is due to their choice of subject rather than the product itself and have convinced themselves a GA helicopter must be a priority... Hence they are pulling out the stops to produce a Cabri G2.

I think if the community got behind them and encouraged them good helicopters would be the result...

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Great Review :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

To add to my previous post... I also think they overestimated the sales potential of FS helicopters, and vintage FS helicopters in particular, within the FSX/ESP-based sims (never mind X-Plane, DCS World etc). I think they took the poor sales of the Gazelle and S-55 very hard, without realizing that even if every single heli-freak bought them it is still a niche within a niche within a niche (within a niche, in the case of vintage helos). They need to "manage their expectations" in modern parlance! For these reasons I reckon new developers should first develop for themselves (and preferably release something as freeware first), before taking on the market. That way the first time round they can't be disappointed and have a chance to built a reputation.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

I am tempted by that Gazelle though. Taxi of choice whilst in Belize so would be good to get one that actually works in P3D v4. I see SimMarket have and it lists it as being compatible with v4.