Oculus Rift in crazy sale: Now is the time to try VR!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Oculus Rift in crazy sale: Now is the time to try VR!

Post by spatialpro »

I don't have the hand motion trackers, just the headset. This was an effort to save [some] money, as I saw this aspect of the technology underdeveloped in relation to the price and since my beloved TrackIR finally died I decided to put the cash I'd have spent on replacing it into a 2nd hand Rift CV1 rather than wait any longer. I very much regard my CV1 purchase as a stop-gap until the higher resolution 2nd generation sets come out, at which point the hand motion trackers should be better as well and I anticipate buying them in a bundle. That said, I'm having an absolute blast in the CV1 and am Happy-as-Larry in the meantime, so if the 2nd gen takes a while to come along there will be no dramas!

I started using the Rift CV1 in P3D3 and I bought FlyInside so I could also use my LeapMotion mounted to the front. This gave me virtual "hands" in the sim, so I could click and turn any switches I liked. This also happened to be way better than the poorly implemented default mouse pointer in VR in v3.

Then v4 came along and I immediately made the switch because of the increase in performance. This allowed me to increase my sliders and still have a great experience in VR (in v3 I'd spent more time compromising on the sliders to get a balance). However, FlyInSide has yet to be updated for 64-bit, so my LeapMotion is now redundant. Normally I'd have been up in arms about that kinda thing... but the default mouse pointer in VR in v4 is sufficiently improved (still a ways to go to make it perfect) that I'm happy to go around the 3D virtual and click items that way and the increased performance of v4 makes me happy enough that I'm currently not missing LeapMotion/FlyInSide at all. That said, when I'm starting cold 'n' dark I usually start my flight in 2D, then once everything is ticking over nicely I switch to VR and complete the rest of the flight that way. Also I have most of my most frequently used controls mapped to my X52 Pro (flaps, gear, spoilers etc.).

Hope that helps...? I'm very happy to answer any and all questions...

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

This is something I am happy to purchase, just need some more convincing! Any videos of it in V4?

Nev

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Not from me Nev (I've yet to make my first FS video! :-O ) but there are on YouTube.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

When clicking through the link to the product page why does it say "End Of Life" under the product?
Am I misinterpreting this as the product is End Of Life?

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

I think that refers to what might happen if the wife finds out! ;)

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Or - alternatively that bundle has been superseded by a similar bundle (there's a link just below "End of Life") but without the Playstation type controller so it seems that that specific bundle (the superseded one) is no longer available.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

ChrisHunt wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 11:17
Or - alternatively that bundle has been superseded by a similar bundle (there's a link just below "End of Life") but without the Playstation type controller so it seems that that specific bundle (the superseded one) is no longer available.
Exactly that. On the original page you'll find a clickable link like this:

To see the latest updated product please follow this link: Oculus Rift and Touch VR Bundle

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi All,
Linking this to the questions regarding video card upgrades:
I've been keen on the goggles solution ever since I first read about them, but never made the purchase.
Does the Oculus Rift have its own graphics card, or does it just interpret output from the computer, like a screen does?
What spec. graphics card are you using with "O.R."?
I'm wondering whether we can all save a bundle by not buying multiple screens and power-chomping refrigerated video cards, and throw all our dosh at the goggles?

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

The Rift (and Vive) plug into an HDMI slot directly into the back of your GPU (just like a monitor). The Rift and Vive are not sold with GPUs, you need to get that separately. You won't want to scrimp on the GPU either, as flying in VR, plus having tesselation maxed out, will tax the card. My specs are in my signature.

If the choice is between multiple monitors or VR the latter wins hands down!

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Whoops!
Observation skills, score ZERO! :$ Sorry!

1080ti going for a song, or should I say a full musical, at a mere AU$1129.00 free delivery. KOFF KOFF!