Astronomy on your mobile!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Astronomy on your mobile!

Post by Airspeed »

Hi All,
For my wife's 69th last week, we bought a refractor telescope with a 102mm front lens.
So far, we've only seen the sliver of the current moon, along with the unlit portion.
However, someone suggested that I get an app for my mobile, to help identify what was up there.
I'm pleased to report that for AU$1.99 :) :-O I installed "Nite Sky Pro"
I don't know how many of you have it, or similar, but by pointing the phone to the sky, or for that matter, even below the horizon, the screen displays the astronomical objects in that direction, with names, and in the case of constellations, a semi-transparent drawing of eg. Scorpius. (this fades away after a few seconds, so that it doesn't obscure the stars)
You can even zoom in!
We've already had two bucks worth of entertainment/education within a couple of hours.
The Birthday Girl quipped that we could have saved hundreds of dollars by just getting the app. :lol:

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Astronomy on your mobile!

Post by Motormouse »

Google Sky Map does that for free y'know..

I'll get my coat.....

Seriously with a bit of practice you can get a good look at Saturn and Jupiter and their moons, and if your in the right direction the ISS too.
The visible passes website at http://www.heavens-above.com is really useful for identifying that random dot whizzing across the night sky.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

My favourite is Stellarium. The iPhone app is £2.99 but the PC desktop version is free and a very impressive piece of software. The cheap 4" Newtonian reflector telescope I've had since I was a kid still gets some use when I can be bothered to get it out, sometimes I even think about upgrading to something a little more 'grown up'. :)

Nice dark skies where you are Mike?

Cheers,
Nick

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

A friend at work has an app like 'Nite Sky Pro'. One day he pointed the phone straight down and showed me the stars in the southern hemisphere. It blew me away. :lol:

Brian

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I have night sky pro on my phone and like it. Only problem with it is they keep coming up with new versions they want you to upgrade to, that of course you will have to pay for. Go figure, a company trying to make money.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 13:25
Hi All,
For my wife's 69th last week, we bought a refractor telescope with a 102mm front lens.
So far, we've only seen the sliver of the current moon, along with the unlit portion.

:doh:
Telling ones' SWMBOs' age just may get you a free ride to the moon. :agree:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Yes, Nick, we do have dark skies in this neck of the woods. Once or twice, I've even gone off the driveway and into the top orchard when I'm taking the rubbish bin up the hill after dark. Sometimes, I park the wheelie bin, open the gate, then can't find the bin again! On occasion, I take a torch with me.
I might look at Stellarium, and see if there's an Android version.

Joe, on the subject of upgrades, I think that the price of these apps compares favourably with payware scenery and aircraft for flightsim! All the same, why upgrades are needed for observing a stellar system that hasn't changed over the past few thousand years, apart from satellites etc., is a bit of a mystery.

Joe Airboatr...SWMBO doesn't mind.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Ah..das ist gut. .

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Airspeed wrote:
25 Aug 2017, 04:03
Yes, Nick, we do have dark skies in this neck of the woods.
I think one of the most awesome* experiences we can have is to look up at the night sky on a really clear, properly dark night. Hope you (and of course the missus) have lots of fun with the 'scope Mike. Looking at a bright full moon through one is really remarkable. Jupiter's a great subject too, with its moons strung out in a line. The ISS moves a little fast for easy tracking though: It's mighty impressive to think that it goes round the planet in about 90 minutes, so its crew see 16 sunrises and sunsets every day. B-)

Cheers,
Nick

*I chose that word carefully, just in case Paul K reads this! :)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Mike

Perhaps one day another comet will pop out unexpectedly like comet Hale-Bopp..

Keep looking up!