Flight Sim World

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Flight Sim World

Post by Nigel H-J »

Having watched a number of videos relating to Flight Sim World it has got me interested firstly for 2 reasons, one is the rain effect and clouds but overall and for the price, which I find unbelievable, this sim appears to have great promise for the future as it is (rather like P3D) ongoing and not something that will be left standing still.

https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/prod ... 1510761541

Has anyone actually bought it and if so what are your opinions.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Flight Sim World

Post by Tako_Kichi »

There's lots of ranting and raving on other forums regarding FSW and possible marketing strategies and the sim is still 'early access' so basically you are paying to beta test for them. From what I can gather it is very limited in what it offers at the moment but that could change over time of course.

Bear in mind too that Dovetail Games are the folks behind FSX:SE so FSW could be based on the FSX engine, so still 32 bit unless they are re-coding to 64 bit.

Something else to consider is that Dovetail Games are also the team behind the Train Simulator series and their marketing ploy for that is not liked by many, they provide you with a few routes and trains but anything else is a DLC that costs a lot compared to the base cost of the sim. Having said that FSX has gone pretty much the same way now with add-ons from the likes of A2A and PMDG costing more per aircraft than the original sim cost!

At this point it might be a case of buyer beware IMHO.
Larry

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I bought it when it first came out. Wasn't very impressed, awful frame rates and it looked terrible. Ended up getting a refund. I think it was released too early to try and get it out before P3d v4.
Having said that, it has had a lot of updates since so it's probably much better than it was then. :dunno:
Dave G.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

From what I have read it is 64bit but it sounds like they are going to be very restrictive as to what they are going to allow in terms of addon’s, at least through the steam store. Not sure if they will even allow freeware. But that may change as X-plane and P3D seem to be running away with the market.

From the ac that have been released it seems very GA oriented
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Hmmmm must give it a whizz. Got it for free since I got Flight School but was totally unimpressed. Last flew it probably 8 weeks ago... Maybe they have made giant steps since then :dunno:
Alex

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

A propos of nothing, I have it and I like it. It does feel like flying, though maybe thats the new 26" monitor. Anyway, my 0.2 cents on the subject for the OP.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Dovetail have stated that addons will be allowed, free or otherwise. Statements to the contrary were 99% by a certain developer who has a history of being a bit difficult to deal with who apparently had an axe to grind that wasn't publically known over something that happened which we'll probably not know the full story of and decided to go off half-read information and try to smear Dovetail with it.

The reality is, Dovetail don't know 100% what the requirements are going to be for PAYWARE addons, but they initially wanted to have all payware addons to be made available via the Steam store in addition to any other sites to be considered "official". This is similar to what they've been advocating for FSX:Steam Edition. However, there are going to be no restrictions on freeware addons and there will be a publically available SDK.

As for the basis - it is developed from FSX because that's what their license is for just as P3D is developed from ESP, which is what Lockheed has the license for.

Also, they didn't want to rush out the first release, but were forced to by their Microsoft agreement (and they've been open about that). Now that it's "out", they've been able to take more time in development, however they continue to have a small (less than 30) development team, which I think is responsible for much of the slow progress. They had hoped to get more people on the team off of the TrainSim World team, but unfortunately, problems with that product continue to keep them from being able to move over staff. Hopefully this will change soon, but in the meantime, I'm just taking a "wait and see" position. I got the program for $5.00 when it initially was put up, so I'm more than happy to just wait for them to get closer to release before really taking any time with it.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

thanks for your replies chaps, found them really informative. Think I will leave this one until I know which way it will go even though the price seems right!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

BTW, DTG just released a statement today saying they hope to have the public SDK released by the end of the year, so I think that puts to rest any questions of whether there's going to be one.

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »