Just flight cessna 152

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Just flight cessna 152

Post by Swanoir »

I see it's been released. Looks nice but I'm not paying £27.99 for it. I know I've got on my soap box about this before, but I honestly don't know how they decide what price to ask for. They're not 'physical' products so there are no materials or manufacturing costs to speak of obviously. So it's all down to paying the development team for their time presumably? So what makes the Spitfire £16.99 and the Cessna £27.99? Is there an actual formula they use to work it out or do they just make it up? 8)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Just flight cessna 152

Post by FlyTexas »

No idea how they figure the final cost. I'm assuming the final cost has mostly to do with the hours spent developing the model. This model definitely sounds more detailed than the 10 year old Carenado model. The description for the JF 152 mentions "custom-coded electrical system with functional circuit breakers". B-) Martyn (from JF) does mention that they hope to have a demo available within the next few days. :thumbsup:

Brian

Bjoern
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Bjoern »

I bet it'll go on sale at some point later this year.

MartynJF
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by MartynJF »

Swanoir wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 16:07
I see it's been released. Looks nice but I'm not paying £27.99 for it. I know I've got on my soap box about this before, but I honestly don't know how they decide what price to ask for. They're not 'physical' products so there are no materials or manufacturing costs to speak of obviously. So it's all down to paying the development team for their time presumably? So what makes the Spitfire £16.99 and the Cessna £27.99? Is there an actual formula they use to work it out or do they just make it up? 8)
Hi Swanoir,

We use a very common business approach - a return on investment (ROI) calculation. We are a business that relies on making a profit from our products in order to pay our staff and ultimately survive another year. We may no longer produce boxed products (we never charged more/less for those versus downloads) but there are plenty of costs other than development staff - servers, manuals, designers, business overheads etc. Unfortunately none of us are driving Aston Martins and hiring yachts for cruises around the Med...

Fortunately for us, many simmers have decided that it does represent good value for money, and as Bjoern points out, it will likely be discounted at some point but probably not for many months to come. In the meantime I'm sure you can find many other excellent GA products (including some of our past in-house GA aircraft) at a cheaper price point.

I've pasted below some replies that I've posted on similar topics elsewhere.

We've adopted a standard price-point for our study-sim GA aircraft, going back to our first in-house release in that 'genre' (the TB10/TB20). We feel it reflects the quality and functionality offered by the product, and if you compare it to other study-sim (and even non study-sim) GA which is available for both FSX and P3D v1-v4 in a single installer then hopefully you'll agree that it's fair.

Study-sim is of course a subjective term but appears to have become a byword for a fully-functional aircraft which includes a variety of features which push it beyond some other aircraft in the market - e.g. dimmable lighting, simulated circuit breakers, engine management (priming, spark plug fouling etc), custom sounds for controls, vibration effects, wind noise if you leave a window open, instrument needle 'wobbles', interactive checklists, panel states, Flight1 GTN/GNS integration etc etc...

I'll avoid getting bogged down in posting comparisons with other GA aircraft of a similar or greater price point (with a similar level of complexity/functionality) but I think it's true to say that we have a reputation for fair pricing which reflects the work that was put into a product.

It's easy to assume that a physically small and relatively simple GA aircraft is therefore a five minute job, worthy of no more than £15, but in the case of this product it was a long and ultimately expensive development project but one that resulted in an excellent aircraft (IMO - and I fly G-BGAE in the real world).

Thanks
Martyn
Just Flight - Developer/Product Manager

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I'll stick with my 10 year old Carenado model, which was way better than Just Flights freeby version. Someone did a very good comparison video of the two years ago. I remember the JF one had weird flight dynamics Not relevant to the recent one of course but really, how many Cessnas do we need? There is a French C150 out there too which is free and pretty realistic and the diff between a 150 and a 152 is not that significant. What would I know.
Alex

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Alex, is the freeware C150 the FS Insider one? It rang a bell when you mentioned it, and I've found it backed up on an external drive. It wasn't half bad, from what I can recall.

This new one looks very good indeed, but the two A2A models, the 172 and 182, are as much Cessna as I need for now. Come a sale, I might think again.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Thanks for your reply Martyn. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not criticising the Cessna or Just Flight, I've been a loyal customer for many years. I was merely voicing my wonderment at how prices are arrived at. I really do like the look of the Cessna 152 but at the moment I think the price tag is a little too high for me, but I am looking forward to flying it in the future if it comes up in any sales. :thumbsup:

MartynJF
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by MartynJF »

Paul K wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 22:07
Alex, is the freeware C150 the FS Insider one? It rang a bell when you mentioned it, and I've found it backed up on an external drive. It wasn't half bad, from what I can recall.
The FS Insider freebie is our old Flying Club C152, which is now well over a decade old. The Carenado version is also a decade old, so the ubiquitous 152 has been neglected for a considerable amount of time, and as you'd imagine our new 152 is considerably more detailed/advanced in every way.

Thanks
Martyn
Just Flight - Developer/Product Manager

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

MartynJF wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 08:28
The FS Insider freebie is our old Flying Club C152, which is now well over a decade old. The Carenado version is also a decade old, so the ubiquitous 152 has been neglected for a considerable amount of time, and as you'd imagine our new 152 is considerably more detailed/advanced in every way.
Thanks, Martyn - I saw the JF on the file name and guessed it might have come via yourselves. :cheers:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I wish I hadn't said anything now, for the new 152 looks fantastic. So cudos to Just Flight. It just doesn't fit within what interests me at the moment .....
Alex