ORBX Photo Scenery for UK and More

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Re: ORBX Photo Scenery for UK and More

Post by 233SQN »

Yes I'm on Steam FSX, but I'm open to persuasion!"
Thanks

Colin Bear

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

This is the post I was referring to. It's about the Netherlands scenery, so I'm not sure if it relates to TrueEarth UK, but I don't see it being any different. :dunno:
https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/154 ... efinitely/
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

My apologies Dave, it appears that I somehow have missed that, all the quotes I made are from the month of April whereas the ones' you posted are later.

It seems that with the 32bit platforms Orbx have run into problems due to the limited amount of memory available for such a large project as that of True Earth. Looks very much like it could be a nail in the coffin for FSX as far as going forward but from the link you gave it does appear that there are a number of chaps who have spent lots of money investing in FSX and P3D 32 bit applications that they are not going to let go easily and upgrade to 64 bit which is understandable however like myself, I still have all of the FSX products that I paid out with good money still on disk though not on my computer and still very much want to keep it though found that after upgrading to X-Plane 11 the last time I flew FSX was for only 5 minutes partly due to the fact that it did not come anywhere near to match the experience I am currently getting from X Plane especially over the UK even with Orbx installed.

My current thinking is that I may very well re-install FSX at some point but only use the Orbx North American Sceneries that I have as they are by far, much better than the Orbx UK sceneries eye candie-wise (though this is only my opinion) and just use those areas to fly the VC10 and other payware products that I do not want to lose or even bin.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Post by grumpyoldb »

I've broken into my pension piggy bank and got P3Dv4. This is it with ORBX Eng installed. I think it's quite stunning.
p3dv4+orbxeng.jpg
(74.6 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
Steve.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Steve, nice screen shot though with my Orbx England being on FSX I really got fed up with the popping up of scenery as I flew along. Whenever I looked out to my left or right there seemed more scenery visible than in front so always used to fly with between 15 -20 mile visibility to try and get away from buildings suddenly appearing up in front of me. Could be that I am just running an old computer! :dunno:

Maybe that does not happen with P3D being 64 bit and you also might have more memory available with that sim as with FSX the max amount that can be used is 4GB . It always used to annoy me not being able to have greater visibility set without trees and buildings popping up in front but with the North American Scenery I can have unlimited visibility and somehow it just looks a lot better than England and without too much popping up with that scenery.

Regards
Nigel.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Steve, that shot looks great :thumbsup: I thought you were recommended to have ftx global, vector and Europe installed before any of the regions. So you just have England ? That may change my plan to hold off with any orbx purchase until their next sale :)

Nigel I was happy with the quality of fsx, it was just the 4 gig limitation, if I pushed the scenery complexity I quickly ran into memory problems, which gave me stutters and popping before actually getting a oom. I used gex and ultimate terrain. Would have liked to run orbx stuff but guessed it would create bigger problems. Not so with p3d v4, yes you still get the step change in resolution as you get closer to a scenery object but no where near as pronounced as in fsx. It runs smoother and so far no frame dropping I am sure I can push it scenery wise and still keep things smooth
Dale
Image Image Image

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

No need for anything else when you buy a specific Orbx region, Dale. FTX Global, Vector and the land class products such as Open LC Europe are enhancements for areas outside their regions. I had FTX Australia, England and Pacific North West long before any of those. :)

Great picture Steve. :thumbsup:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I agree with Paul. While the ORBX airports usually say they require the region, vector and the Open LC products require global but the regions can stand alone. Adding FTX Global will make the region more seamless with the rest of the world, its not required.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nigel I was happy with the quality of fsx, it was just the 4 gig limitation, if I pushed the scenery complexity I quickly ran into memory problems, which gave me stutters and popping before actually getting a oom.
Guess when I can afford a new computer sometime next year I may very well find myself buying P3D to run alongside X Plane 11 just so I can take advantage of all the add-ons I have with FSX and of course John Venema had said that if you buy a product for say X plane 11 and want the same product for P3D then there will be a reduced price on the 2nd purchase (if I read it right).

No harm in running both platforms and you get the best of both worlds by doing so.

Regards
Nigel.

grumpyoldb
Viscount
Viscount

Post by grumpyoldb »

Nigel, it has just cost me £300 to do a rebuild on an old PC. New motherboard bundle with ready installed quad core processor, 4gb of ram, and upgrade to 16G of DDR4 ram from Novatech. Win10 pro 64bit. Running smooth as anything. I could do with an upgraded Graphics card but that would cost me another £200. XPlane requires a good graphics coard, but P3D seems to cope with ram.
Steve.