UK2000 Scenery V2

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

UK2000 Scenery V2

Post by 233SQN »

Anyone made the transition from Version 1 to Version 2 for the general UK airport packages?

I have Vol's 1-3 on disk and they are very good but it's difficult to see from the screenshots on the UK2000 site if the upgrade to the later version is worth it.

I use FSX Steam, Horizon VFR and Trescape BTW.

THx
Thanks

Colin Bear

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: UK2000 Scenery V2

Post by DaveG »

I upgraded vol 1 and 2 (haven't got around to vol 3 yet).
There is quite a significant improvement in most airfields over v1. I think it's worth upgrading, personally, although with ORBX TrueEarth coming at some point it may be worth waiting and see what that brings. There was a discount for owners of v1 but I'm not sure if that's still available. *-)
Dave G.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Thx Dave

The static aircraft seem more interesting (lots of Tiger Moths?) and in the central area the new runway at Sywell are added.

OrbX seems too good to be true, but like everyone else I'm hooked and will no doubt buy it. That said its not the first time this has been one there is a product on Just Flight called Revolution X that died a quick death. I just cant see how OrbX will place millions of objects accurately?

https://www.justflight.com/product/revolution-x
Thanks

Colin Bear

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

233SQN wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:56
That said its not the first time this has been one there is a product on Just Flight called Revolution X that died a quick death.
In what sense?
233SQN wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:56
I just cant see how OrbX will place millions of objects accurately?
That is relatively easy, using:
  • semi-automatic extraction from imagery
  • Manual extraction from imagery, available free thanks to other's efforts at OpenStreetMap
  • automatic extraction from point clouds (via airborne laser scanning or photogrammetry)
  • A combination of the above
The placement of the objects is actually the easier part, as all you need is a building footprint. Footprints also give you the 2D dimensions. Getting the 3rd dimension and the roof shape is the trickiest part. If you have a 2D footprint and a 3rd dimensions (even if not the roof shape) then Arno's scenProc makes it dead easy to place scaled autogen buildings:

https://www.scenerydesign.org/scenproc/

It wouldn't surprise me if a commercial license of scenProc was purchased from Arno by Orbx, or if Arno is getting royalties (and may even be doing the autogen work for Orbx himself).
Last edited by spatialpro on 04 May 2018, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

I was excited when Revolution X came out but I saw a few "iffy" reviews and there didn't seem to be any great interest on the FSX sites.....when this new ORB X stuff came along I couldn't even remember its name and when I did I couldn't find much on it.

Your technical description of how this new scenery will work is way over my head but it sounds impressive and like others I will buy it without hesitation if its as good as the screenshots and videos suggest!
Thanks

Colin Bear

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

On the subject of auto placement It's surprisingly accurate and effective. I'm using Europe X in X-Plane which uses that technique and It's extremely difficult to spot the joins. The principal issue is not the placement but the models used. Europe X uses standard X-Plane models and as much as I like red roofs they are a but much when used all over Europe.

When I get a moment I'll put up some screen shots showing just the accuracy of auto placement.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

If you log in to your account on the UK2000 site the discount prices will automatically appear for any products that you have. I got mine by download, so if you bought the CDs elsewhere than it may not be automatic. Worth checking up.