AH Bristol Bulldog Released!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

AH Bristol Bulldog Released!

Post by blanston12 »

https://www.aeroplaneheaven.com/product_bulldog.php

Get it while it’s hot, although EU residents may have to wait for regular channels to carry it (Maybe brexit does have an advantage after all).
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: AH Bristol Bulldog Released!

Post by FlyTexas »

Beautiful model. :thumbsup: I know DaveB would've really enjoyed this. :(

Brian

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Looks really good. I'll definitely pick it up at some point. :thumbsup:
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Maybe when there's a sale on. I thought the upper wing looked a bit thin and flimsy at first, but having searched for photos, it looks like A.H. have got it right. I bet there'll be some lovely RAF squadron repaints for it.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Well, after a few problems with the FS Pilot Shop download I've got it working and I must say it seems great. (The free offer with the F3F was also a factor - not a plane I would have bought but another little biplane that is well worth having at £0.00 if you were thinking of getting the Bulldog anyway.) I've had it up for a few flights and so far still have both my legs. (But maybe I'm a cautious flyer....) 8)

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Bought it when I got home from work. Just Flight are also bundling for free the Grumman F3F, plus 100 points for a few days.
Looks and flies beautifully. I must admit, it's not the sort of aircraft I'd usually go for, but I'm quite impressed. The external model is lovely. My only issue is , with the caveat that I have never flown one (obviously!) or know anything tangible about the Bulldog, is that the takeoff run seems ridiculously short(please correct me if I'm wrong).
I really like the style of the PDF manual, very impressed, informative yet less dry compared to the usual format.
But beware! The manual plugs (shamelessly) the ORBX Damyns Hall scenery, which I bought (after Mrs Swanoir allowed me...) and it is fantastic, but my pc gave up running both the Bulldog and the airfield at the same time after about ten minutes.
This is not a review, just my initial thoughts... :thumbsup:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Swanoir wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 22:31
... that the takeoff run seems ridiculously short(please correct me if I'm wrong).
Short take-offs seem to be a feature of A.H. models, at least in the ones I own - Chipmunk, Helldiver and the Curtiss C-46. Like many others here, I have flown in a Chipmunk, and it most certainly did not take off like that. The Helldiver was explained away as ' well, it's a very powerful aircraft' and the C-46 FDE was very difficult until Mr. Frimston at Just Flight worked on it - still not 100%, but at least he made it usable. That said, I'm still pondering the marriage of the Cal Classics C-46 FDE and the A.H.'s wonderful external model.

With the Bulldog, who can say - it's a biplane, and in a stiff breeze it might well take-off rather sharpish. I wonder what other purchasers will think. :)

And I also wonder how quickly the fully laden A.H. Lancaster and C-119 Boxcar will get in the air. *-)

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Paul K wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 08:57
With the Bulldog, who can say - it's a biplane, and in a stiff breeze it might well take-off rather sharpish. I wonder what other purchasers will think. :)
Well, I've flown mine a few times now and must say that I quite like it. Take off seems not too unbelievable, provided you open the throttle slowly and build up speed before getting the tail up. Very well behaved in straight and level flight although its difficult to hold altitude without a vertical speed indicator and the very quirky (but presumably authentic) altimeter. Turns nicely and predictably , though has to be held into the turn much as most FS models do. Drops a wing in the stall - can be either?? - but stalls gently.

I had a lot of trouble trying to roll the Bulldog - never mind at low level Mr Bader - but once you read the manual ( :doh: ) and give it enough airspeed (140kts) it behaves nicely.

I am having trouble with the plane becoming overstressed - just broke at 160kts trying to roll over Welshpool - which seems well within aerobating limits but obviously not. It's worth taking the trouble with it though.