Preview Orbx True Earth UK Central

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Preview Orbx True Earth UK Central

Post by Nigel H-J »

Tried to become an orbx developer but they never replied.
Hi Rick, this was advertised in November nearly a month ago now and not sure of where you live but you do need to relocate to the Portsmouth area according to the advert.

There is no harm in sending an e-mail or even PM John Venema, you would not be short of excellent references as we would all give you one!! :thumbsup:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/162 ... nt-centre/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Hmmm.... it does look good.

I have just downloaded the X Plane demo, I'm tempted to buy X plane and this scenery just for the low level VFR experience. Excuse my ignorance, but is it just the one OrbX pack required per region? (didn't you used to have to buy a base pack and then the regions or something?)

What are the default airfields like? I'm assuming I won't be able to use my UK2000 airfields?

And is the photo base layer up-to date?

Or should i wait for the P3D version? (I don't have PD3 either but I'm prepared to invest if its this good)

Or maybe stick with FSX, Horizon photo scenery, Treescape, UK2000 and a hangar full of good aircraft!!
Thanks

Colin Bear

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Colin, Orbx True Earth UK comes in three stages, EU South, Central and then we are awaiting the release for the North which will be Scotland. That is all you will need, no other Orbx Sceneries required. Default airfields are the ones already in X Plane 11 which are so so, like any other default airfield really but UK Sceneries are being ported to X plane 11 and as it is a different platform to FSX and P3d you would have to purchase them though would think that you may get a discount but not sure.

The Orbx Scenery of True Earth is 2018 era so it is very much up to date.

I have FSX still on my computer as I enjoy flying the old classic aircraft I have but..........FSX with Orbx England Wales and Scotland does not compare to Orbx True Earth so my plans are to go to P3d sometime next year.

I am presently really enjoying X Plane 11 and it will become much improved when Laminar release 11.30 (currently on 11.26) and one aspect of the upcoming update is you will be able to customise your joystick using response curves which will make handling the aircraft a lot better than it is now (no more skidding down the runway for one thing). :lol:

Back to your question of sticking with FSX, if you can keep FSX and run another flight sim then do that, it would be a shame to have to bin what you already own. I have spent hundreds of pounds on FSX but after flying with True Earth I find no enjoyment with FSX but still want to use the aircraft I have purchased so will buy P3d at some point next year and just write off the other sceneries.

One aspect of True Earth is that if you buy for X Plane and then decide to buy P3d (as I will) then you don't have to purchase True Earth again. You will be allowed to install it into another platform as well as the one you have. Hope that makes sense!

Regards
Nigel.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Nigel H-J wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 20:49
One aspect of True Earth is that if you buy for X Plane and then decide to buy P3d (as I will) then you don't have to purchase True Earth again. You will be allowed to install it into another platform as well as the one you have. Hope that makes sense!
Interesting. I thought you still had to pay, but got a discount. *-)
Dave G.

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

I've just put in an SDD specifically to house P3Dv4 and X-Plane. I got True Earth UK Central as soon as it was released as that's the part of the world I grew up in. X-Plane with True Earth is absolutely the business for VFR flying. I found my brother in law's street in Cheltenham and it was a bit harder but I found the street on the outskirts of Stockton-on-Tees where my mother lived for 55 years. My first flight was from Teesside airport down the coast to find Whitby Abbey (sitting there on the cliff top) and then back up over the moors. The rendition of the North Yorks Moors is really astonishing and definitely 'as good as it gets'. I followed the same route in P3D and it was just a huge disappointment from a scenery point of view. The moors just looked like massive oversize golf courses.

Why do I keep P3D? I don't know really. With the True Earth packages VFR in the UK is just an absolute pleasure, whilst P3D just tends to bore me. But there are things I keep P3D for. Repeat after me, mmmmm Seafire.(thanks Rob and Peter). That's what I took over the moors.

I was very annoyed with the disappearance of the King Air from P3D. I know, I know, but you're going to get a little attached to something you took around the world 2 1/2 times. So it's some choice downloaded aircraft that keep me popping back to P3D. I don't see it lasting too much longer though. Another thing that I can't understand is all this bs about P3D being for learning on. Maybe I missed it but which of the default aircraft in v4.4 is the ab initio trainer?

So I'd say buy X-Plane and the True Earth packages if you want to do low level VFR. I've got ORBX England in P3D and it still isn't close. There's a learning curve with X-Plane's keyboard assignments and I believe that's what weekend warriors like me struggle to get over. It's worth the effort though. And there are more and more quality add-ons for X-Plane coming along too. As for airfields, I think they're OK out of the box but I've downloaded three detailed ones for my favourite places.

$0.02, Paul

Oh, one thing that is absolutely identical in both simulators is the hardness of the runways when your rate of descent is too high :doh: :$
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Interesting. I thought you still had to pay, but got a discount. *-)
Oooops, my bad!! :doh:

I got sort of mixed up on this Dave, John Venema stated that:
We will be separating 32-bit versions from 64-bit versions purely because the 4GB limit of 32-bit platforms just cannot run the full TrueEarth feature set. However, we will only charge once for a TrueEarth region for FSX/P3D so this will allow you to upgrade to 64-bit P3D without having to purchase the region again.
If you have True Earth for X Plane and then want it for P3d there will be a cross platform discount.

This is where I got mixed up, sorry to have raised any-ones' hopes. Though I did read from Orbx Forum (but cannot find it now) that FSX will not feature in True Earth as they have come across technical issues as it is only a 32 bit application
My first flight was from Teesside airport down the coast to find Whitby Abbey (sitting there on the cliff top) and then back up over the moors.
Well I flew up from Wickenby to Scarborough and Whitby but did notice one flaw and that Scarborough Castle is not there!! Hoping that will be rectified when they put more POI's in, like the rest of you post Paul, Orbx Scenery for FSX is no match for what they now offer now in terms of True Earth. I had written that I am thinking of getting P3d for next year but after reading your comments I now may not bother and just keep FSX though I still find it hard to to get into it again.

Regards
Nigel.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

I don't think I could ever accept "generic" scenery now after using photographic (albeit out of date).

A move to X plane is tempting as the demo is growing on me, however I had an email update from Just Flight today saying that their Photographic scenery is due for release in early January, I can't imagine it will be too different to the OrbX and has the added advantages that I can keep all the UK2000 airfields and of course all my favourite aircraft collected over the years.

I think I'll wait for the JF Version and take a punt on that first. If it doesn't work out, X Plane here I come....
Thanks

Colin Bear

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Nigel H-J wrote:
20 Dec 2018, 14:30
did notice one flaw and that Scarborough Castle is not there!!
I guess there's going to be disappointments all over the place. This is Durham Cathedral.

Personally a massive failure, but then I did smile all the way back to EGNV racing the traffic on the A167 :agree:

Of course, we could count our blessings that we have anything even vaguely like this. I remember the first FS I bought.
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

of course, we could count our blessings that we have anything even vaguely like this. I remember the first FS I bought.
And just to think that was really high tech graphics in those days!! :lol: I think I started with Flight Sim 5 and flew a lot from the now defunct Meigs Airfield.
I guess there's going to be disappointments all over the place. This is Durham Cathedral.
That has alreasdey been highlighted in the Orbx Forum, just scroll down on the first page so hopefully it will be there on the next update.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/152 ... h-central/

Regards
Nigel.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Just Flight have just posted a whole load of screenshots here https://www.justflight.com/product/vfr- ... th%20Wales
Thanks

Colin Bear