Oh Boy, This Will Blow Your Mind!!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Oh Boy, This Will Blow Your Mind!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

It did mine, came across by accident an update review on Microsofts' new Flight Simulation, frustratingly, there are adverts during this review but you can soon cancel them. A lot of questions I had about this development were answered in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOPIjzzH1G8

another video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2gac_1wA0

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Oh Boy, This Will Blow Your Mind!!

Post by Tako_Kichi »

There is only one word I can use to describe the content of those videos.................WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :agree:

As a former freeware developer (both aircraft and scenery) I will be interested to learn more about 3rd party content and development tools required.
Larry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

It appears it will likely kill off the likes of ORBX unless they can come up with something even cleverer. Also scenery and other misc software developers. Maybe even the freeware aircraft developers as the design process will have gone beyond what the average guy/gal in his/her study/mancave/bedroom is capable of developing. That is unfortunate. Perhaps I am being pessimistic, but it is the freeware/hobbyist aspect that kept the sim moving forward.
Alex

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Hold your horses guys. There have been quite a few releases of footage of thr new sim together with some reviews by those fortunate enough to attend the teasers from Microsoft. Well worth a look on youtube.

If you have an average internet connection then you will not get what you see in the videos.

Looks as if it will be subscription based too.

Nev

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Thanks for the info, Nev. :) Being subscription based I'd have to think twice about purchasing this. :(

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Subscription-based and being able to VFR navigate anywhere on the planet ? Sign me up.

If this comes in at a reasonable monthly fee, and if they provide the means to port over existing aircraft ( which I've heard rumoured will be possible ), and if that scenery detail can be acceptably balanced with my internet connection, then I'm all for it. Very exciting.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

If you go over to https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider-home/

Click on the insider login and log in with your Microsoft ID you’ll see the latest development update video where the developer talks about how they created the world, the three types; offline, low bandwidth and online and the differences. It’s pretty spectacular. The latest update was only posted 5 hours ago. Worth a look.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks for that link Ben. A very informative, if frequently buffering, video. It is difficult to see where the likes of ORBX or even Laminar Research go from here. On the face of it this blows X-Plane and general scenery design out of the water. Possible inroads for airports or discrete POIs but it seems that the days of regional and global scenery enhancements are gone, at least with the Microsoft product.

Still, as always, the proof will be in the performance and details - if great scenery but lousy performance then there's still a bit of work to be done on that mythical drawing board.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Regarding the question of internet connection speeds v buffering from the first video link if you go to 5 min.16 secs. he talks about this and also Microsoft will be releasing a version for those without internet, basically the sim measures the level of bandwidth that you have and chooses the level of detail accordingly equally, Microsoft will allow you to download regions of the world so that you can fly off-line in off-line settings and there is more, If you do not have internet connections where you live Microsoft have developed an off-line mode which is fairly accurate and you would be able to fly VFR in it.

Now for those with no internet I wonder how the hell they will be able to acquire a copy to install on their computers. Now the question is........ if you can download sceneries of the part of the world you want to fly in off-line mode then the idea of a monthly subscription is defeated is it not? Unless of course that area will only work for the length of time you have paid? Also, for those without internet what size will a global scenery use or will they just advertise areas i.e. UK or Europe or.....................!!

Be interesting to see how this all pans out. *-)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think we’ll see that many of the components of scenery in this world and aircraft are actually being made by the usual suspects under NDA.
The world “model” is Microsoft, complete with weather etc, however there’s been very little information wrt aircraft, and I’ve seen no mention of shipping. It was interesting to see the latest marketing email I got today from REX. I couldn’t help but feel they trying to draw comparisons without actually mentioning the new Sim... or maybe I’m reading too much into it. Maybe REX are involved in the new Sim already. Who know 😊
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage