Prepare 3D Version 5

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Prepare 3D Version 5

Post by spatialpro »

I'm absolutely loving it! :welldone:

Truesky really makes a huge different IMO. There is a lot of talk of the volumetric clouds (which could be more detailed/sharper IMO, but then this is just a Beta inside v5)... but what you don't hear so much is these clouds are "alive", i.e. if you sit and watch them they gain and loose volume, just like IRL (sit outside and watch some clouds and you'll see)! It also has amazing atmospheric scattering, which adds a sense of depth, therefore distance, therefore scale. I've also yet to experience the jolt of suddenly climbing from one visibility layer to another... one of my pet hates in FSX/P3D. The transition is more subtle now, as it should be.

PBR on runways also makes a huge difference.

In summary I've very happy so far! My next step will be to try VR... ;)

In case you're not already aware FSPUIC has already be updated and released (v6). If you bought the previous version from SimMarket you get a hefty discount ;)

Here are some shots leaving BAe Warton to take a trip up to the Lake District. Enjoy!

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Hello,

Blimey is it really 12 years since I joined?

V5 has re-kindled my interest again so will probably purchase and give it a whirl.
What does everyone recommend?

1) Remove all old versions, addons and install V5, then reinstall all your addons?
2) Install V5 alongside V4 (can it share add-ons?)
3) Uninstall previous versions and install V5 then just relink addons?

My biggest bug bare with previous versions was the FPS in VR was still quite low.
Can anyone confirm if FPS in general has improved?

Regards,

Ted.

p.s. Any incompatibilities found so far with addons?

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

I haven't tried VR yet... but I can confirm DX12 does wonders for frame rates.

Don't just take it from me though... watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9li8ekJoT00&t=210s

I'm currently running v4 alongside v5 and plan on using a common install of ORBX for both. After a while I may remove v4.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Haven't had chance to get it myself yet. It does seem to be attracting a lot of flak over at Avsim due to extremely high vram usage causing CTDs and stuttery VR. :S
Dave G.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

DaveG wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 15:05
It does seem to be attracting a lot of flak over at Avsim due to extremely high vram usage causing CTDs and stuttery VR
I can't speak for VR yet... but I have had CTD when using the beta of trueSKY with some aircraft (notably the default F-35). I can say VRAM definitely isn't the issue for me... it doesn't even come close to 50% used! It seems more to do with the speed of the GPU... I'm currently overclocking my GPU to see if that makes a difference...

FWIW I haven't got close to having v5 max out my CPU cores either... I think may have to put sliders close to max for that. Without limiting them I'm getting >125 FPS right now. DX12 seems to be a huge leap forward! :thumbsup:

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The thing that would put me off would be more changes in compatibility. As it stands I’ve got all 3 Sims available as I really miss some of the old models. If I could move my v4.5 straight across to v5 I’d be happy enough, but want to see what the consensus is.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

DogTailRed2 wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 14:21
Hello,

Blimey is it really 12 years since I joined?

V5 has re-kindled my interest again so will probably purchase and give it a whirl.
What does everyone recommend?

1) Remove all old versions, addons and install V5, then reinstall all your addons?
2) Install V5 alongside V4 (can it share add-ons?)
3) Uninstall previous versions and install V5 then just relink addons?

My biggest bug bare with previous versions was the FPS in VR was still quite low.
Can anyone confirm if FPS in general has improved?

Regards,

Ted.

p.s. Any incompatibilities found so far with addons?
The only reason I would remove the old version is if you don't have enough disk space, I am still trying it out for the first time and have not yet starting installing other products into my vanilla install of V5, but the load time and FPS do seam improved.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

TSR2 wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 16:04
If I could move my v4.5 straight across to v5 I’d be happy enough
It is very early days, but so far my 2p is that if it ran in 4.5 it is highly likely to either 1) run as-is; or 2) require minor mods by the developers (e.g. much less than the leap from v3 to v4)

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Airtrooper wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 15:32
DaveG wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 15:05
It does seem to be attracting a lot of flak over at Avsim due to extremely high vram usage causing CTDs and stuttery VR
I can't speak for VR yet... but I have had CTD when using the beta of trueSKY with some aircraft (notably the default F-35). I can say VRAM definitely isn't the issue for me... it doesn't even come close to 50% used! It seems more to do with the speed of the GPU... I'm currently overclocking my GPU to see if that makes a difference...

FWIW I haven't got close to having v5 max out my CPU cores either... I think may have to put sliders close to max for that. Without limiting them I'm getting >125 FPS right now. DX12 seems to be a huge leap forward! :thumbsup:
I appear to have solved my CTD by reinstating a frame rate limit (30)! It seems that without a limit the GPU runs away with itself somehow (not the VRAM though... at least outside of VR ;) ), it tops out and crashes. With the limiter in place it behaves and I can (so far!) fly whatever I want, as fast as I want, as low as I want with loads of autogen and fabulous skies :thumbsup:

I get solid 30 FPS (not surprising with >125 unlimited I guess), but I do get stutters. I sense something still needs tweeking here (I tried lowering autogen, shadows etc.) and I suspect a hotfix or v5.1 will be along for this...

Next is VR... ;)

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Another (faster) trip from Warton to the Lakes...

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,