Prepare 3D Version 5

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Prepare 3D Version 5

Post by Scorpius »

I know what I am talking about here. You will be pleased to hear that so far today, I have been unable to run P3DV5 due to CTD at start up.

Marvellous!

Nev

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Ditched the .cfg file and let it rebuild and it started. Seems it does not like multiple monitors.

Nev

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

So far what I have read, hardly encouraging.
Alex

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Normally I'm the one complaining but not this time - so far.

Spent most of the day loading up all the ORBX files and then testing. True Earth GB did cause a significant drop in FPS to around 12 but everything else was absolutely fine. With the FPS pegged at 30 I did not suffer any CTDs, strange scenery or abnormalities of any kind so I am a happy bunny at the moment. :party:

Allan

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

initially I was getting a lot of CTD but that seemed to be caused by a bug related to the ATC window. Since then I had been very sparing in my use of ATC and had not had any crashes. I loaded up most of my ORBX scenery its been very smooth. For the most part I have left the FPS at the default 30, I did a flight over london with ORBX england and autogen set to max and while the FPS did drop to around 20 but it was still pretty smooth without any stutters and in my opinion very acceptable.

I have not tried TE-GBS yet as it had lots of problems in V4.5 so I am waiting to hear more before installing it and Allan's post is the first post by a non ORBX employee I have seen.

So far I am very impressed by it, at first glance it does not seam revolutionary but it after using it a bit its definitely a major improvement.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

I'm very impressed with the speed with which LM wrote and published a fix for the VR issue (left eye flicker). It worked for me and VR is now back to v4.5 standards.

Enhanced Atmospherics (Beta) is very good, but I'll be over moon when it exits Beta and us fully integrated (i.e. inc. VR).

IMO outside of VR most people getting CTD mostly seem to fall into the following groups:

1) OOM for vRAM, which appears to happen to multi-monitor, 4K, study-level, high complexity (not well optimised?!) addon airports 'n' other scenery, "all sliders to the right", heavy users.

2) a mystery related to use of unlimited frames (CTD either as the flight loads, or not long after the flight commences)

In both cases my hunch is that v5 somehow "opens the taps" too much and overwhelms things. I liken it to a fuse tripping in your fuse box when too much current is drawn. The fuse is fine, the wiring is fine... even the electrical device is fundamentally fine, it's just that the new dial on the front of said device now goes from 0-11, where the old one went from 0-10 😉 By limiting things (e.g. FPS and/or sliders) the experience is amazing and things don't trip. I reckon v5.1 (which may come soon, given the rapid response of LM) will change the dial back to 0-10. Anyway, it is late and I'm rambling...! 😬

DX12 certainly improves FPS and smoothness and the visuals are awesome.... speaking of which, I'd already buy v5 all over again simply for the volumetric clouds which no longer rotate and other such silliness as you fly past them!

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Finally had a chance to try v5 last night. Very impressed. No CTD (yet!). Frame rates are up approx 20% for me with the same settings used in v4 plus truesky. Haven't tried VR yet. Took off from EGLC over Orbx TEGBS and flew over London towards Heathrow. Frame rates was locked at 30 and that was where it stayed. I did briefly try setting it to unlimited and it was floating around the 50fps mark. Mind you I haven't added any AI traffic yet.

Will play some more today.
Dave G.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Looks as if Andy has nailed it with his observations. My CTD occurs as soon as I load a flight with multiple monitors.

Nev

David Love-Brice
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by David Love-Brice »

Make sure you grab the VR Hotfix Dave, it's a must have...seriously.. :D

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi DG

Does my old Hawk T2 alpha/beta work on v5 ?

Before i make the jump 8)