Earth Sims Alderney, Guernsey and Scilly Isles.

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cessna75
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Earth Sims Alderney, Guernsey and Scilly Isles.

Post by cessna75 »

Scilly Isles scenery is Playsims branded, vol 14. Small print on box says "Developed by Earth Simulations".

Alderney & Guernsey are each original Earth Simulations branding, [Alderney Vol 1, Guernsey Vol 2], no mention of Playsims.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

I think there are different versions of Alderney, Scilly and Guernsey as mine are all PlaySims branded.
They just won't install from my ones. The installer is not able to get past the validate, enter serial, unlock process (tried all the tricks like disabling internet, using different esi's, tweaking the registry to try and fool it).
The data can be extracted from the .esi files. Frustratingly there isn't a file, folder combination I can find that works yet without crashing the sim. :wall:
So for me those three still elude me :-(

Can you do me a favour. For Alderney (as an example) can you tell me how many files live in the photo folder and what their naming conventions are?
I may be able to piece the ground textures together from the discs. I'm not too fussed about the 3d stuff. If that works It gives me hope the data is recoverable. At the moment I can't decide if the data is actually usable once extracted (perhaps the installer does something like download extra files for these versions?)

Thanks.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps,

I have just trued to install the Scilly Isles. Following Cessna's instructions, it gets me to the green install button on the upper right. Clicking on that install button prompts me to enter the serial number on the card in the box, but nothing else happens. This is a new system (as of last year) and hasn't had any ESI stuff installed previously, so I'm guessing something else must be causing it to not recognise the key.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

TSR2 wrote:
12 May 2020, 09:38
Hi Chaps,

I have just trued to install the Scilly Isles. Following Cessna's instructions, it gets me to the green install button on the upper right. Clicking on that install button prompts me to enter the serial number on the card in the box, but nothing else happens. This is a new system (as of last year) and hasn't had any ESI stuff installed previously, so I'm guessing something else must be causing it to not recognise the key.
I think some are bad serials or have to validate online regardless. I have the same problem.

cessna75
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by cessna75 »

As requested by DogTailRed2, my Alderney folder structure Is:
ES-CI-3D
ES-CI-Airports
ES-CI-Autumn
ES-CI-HardWinter
ES-CI-Night
ES-CI-Spring
ES-CI-Summer
ES-CI-Terrain
ES-CI-Winter
Backup
FSX

Each contain Scenery & Texture sub-folders apart from Terrain which just has a Scenery sub-folder.
Within the Terrain Scenery there are six BGL files (ES-Alderney_DTM.bgl, ES-Alderney-EXX.bgl, ES-Alderney-Harbour-FLT.bgl, ES-Alderney-HPX.bgl, Es-Alderney-SSN.bgl & ES-CI-FIX-01.bgl).
The Backup & FSX folders seem to contain default files - not sure if these are called to replace standard FSX files when this scenery is in use.

Folder structure for Guernsey and Scilly are similar, although they both sit in a parent Earth Simulations folder as I guess that's how ESI works. My Alderney is in effect a stand-alone installation.

Your comment about bad serials rings a bell. I purchased the Scilly scenery from Flightstore in 2015 and could not get it to install with the serial code supplied. Comments on the Flightstore forum at the time suggested that there were some incorrect serials with this product. I contacted Flightstore and they provided an alternative serial that works. Perhaps your sceneries are similarly afflicted?

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

I do recall that some of the Channel Islands Scenery doesn't like P3D. Are you aware that ORBX had re released Alderney around Christmas time based on the Earth Simulation files and at a princely sum of £7.88. May be worth looking at if no joy with the disc. I would think the rest will follow in due course.

Steve M

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Post by JohnD »

I have ES Alderney on both FSX steam and P3D v5 and ORBX Alderney on P3D v4.5.
They are all very similar but the ORBX scenery has more vegetation. I’m not sure how accurate the vegetation is though.

My ES Alderney structure seems different to cessna75. I’ll recheck tomorrow.

Regards
John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

After much tooing, frowing and spitting I've decided that Alderney, Guernsey and Scilly are coasters.
The only conclusion I can come to is that these sceneries just don't work with PrePar3D. Certainly not in there non-installable form. Extracting the data does not work. Tried everything without success. If anyone gets them to work without issue let us know.
So I think I'll look at alternatives such as OrbX.
There is a chap making these sceneries for a few quid (https://www.soarflyconcepts.com/shop) which look very nice but will need to wait for updated P3D versions to iron out a few faults.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Those look lovely, might be tempted, particularly for Barra. I’ll need to check if our sceneries that Trev Clarke did work in P3D...
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage