MSFS 2020 Beta

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Re: MSFS 2020 Beta

Post by chrispbits »

Complex software demands rigorous testing and it's probably fair to say that testing often isn't rigorous enough. However, I've seen nothing to suggest that the bugs fixed by the P3D v5 hotfix are a result of the system being subjected to unanticipated "use cases". But I have seen plenty of software released with known bugs with intentions to apply fixes in future updates - pretty normal really. My point is that it would be better for suppliers to acknowledge this up front. So credit for the speed of the hotfix but not for the lack of transparency behind it.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

This sounds hopeful wrt TSX compatibility...
Several Aircraft now feel better to fly when using FSX flight model (see specific planes for updates)
In the latest FS2020 update.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Yes, interesting statement re FSX flight model. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I wonder what the alternative flight model is and why some aircraft "feel" better with the FSX version? Is it because they are direct port overs?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That’s what I’m curious about... if there’s support for aircraft ported over, or some relatively simple method to port them I’ll be a happy bunny.

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

I mainly use P3D to fly legacy aircraft like the VC10 and 1-11 etc that aren't available for X-Plane so if there is inbuilt support for ported FSX aircraft then there's much less likelihood of me keeping P3D. I've already stopped investing in new P3D scenery but I can't resist the odd aircraft.

It all depends though on just how good MSFS becomes and the pricing structure.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

chrispbits wrote:
16 May 2020, 10:15
I mainly use P3D to fly legacy aircraft like the VC10 and 1-11 etc that aren't available for X-Plane so if there is inbuilt support for ported FSX aircraft then there's much less likelihood of me keeping P3D. I've already stopped investing in new P3D scenery but I can't resist the odd aircraft.

It all depends though on just how good MSFS becomes and the pricing structure.
I agree with that, if M$ really wants to pull the rug from under LM, supporting FSX native aircraft out of the box would be a big step in doing that. But I am assuming from some experiments I have done (that I currently can't explain) that some significant modifications will be needed to get FSX aircraft to work in MSFS2020, and if that stays true I will have a good reason to keep P3D around for a long time.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Just been reading the latest update. There’s an interesting video from the guys at Meteoblue who are providing the weather data. I’ve actually just downloaded their weather app for the phone which is superb.
I was also really pleased to see a development update that mention Llanbedr EGOD. Back in the day that was where we used to test fly from, with jaunts over to Isle of Man with DaveB. Good times.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

blanston12 wrote:
10 May 2020, 05:09
Working as a software developer myself I am not surprised at these kind of things. You can test it yourself all you want, you can get your friends to test, you can get a large group of beta testers to try, but nothing is like when you finally release it to the public and they start using what you have created in ways you could never have anticipated, so give them credit when they get that hot fix out soon after release to fix all the bugs that have magically become apparent since the public got hold of it.
Maybe, Joe, but if Rick had done it, they wouldn't need a hotfix; you need faith, man. :agree:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

A very wise software developer once told me this.

Every piece of software has at least one bug in it and
Every piece of software has at least one extra line of code in it,
Therefore, by induction,
every piece of software can be reduced to one line of code, that does not work.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

You do realise that it is still alpha, not beta.
George