P3D or X Plane

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

P3D or X Plane

Post by paul26may »

Having given up trying to install FS2004 and while waiting for FS2020 I'm thinking of investing in either P3D or X-Plane 11. Has anyone got a view either way and also what are the requirements for the purchase of the former? It seems like I need to buy a licence. Is that correct?

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: P3D or X Plane

Post by DaveG »

:lol: Now you're asking!
Both have their good and bad points. I own both but only use P3dv5, I just can't get on with X-Plane.
X-Plane does have a free demo (limited area and 10 mins of flight time I think) so it's worth giving that a try before you decide.
P3d comes in Academic ($60) and Professional ($200) (and Pro-Plus @$2500, but you won't want that one!). Only difference is a small water mark in the top right of the screen. TBH, you don't really notice it. LM don't ask for proof before buying, so it's up to you which you get. :worried:
There's also a 14 day refund policy.
I may help to know your system as both are pretty demanding.
Dave G.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Some bedtime or toilet reading for you :)

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30621

X-Plane for me by the way :cheers:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Like DaveG I have both - actually all 3, P3D 4 and 5 and X Plane. I cannot get into X Plane, the UI is far to complex for me but then again I started with FS5 and so FSX/P3D is second nature I suppose. I can just load up P3D, have a quick 15 minute circuit or 3 and that's it. With X Plane the same amount of time would probably see me giving up and having a coffee instead :lol:

So, for ease of use I would go for P3D any day.

ATB

Allan

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I suppose the question is do you have any addons. Payware or otherwise for FSX that you want to keep using? Or are you happy starting from zero and downloading or buying everything from scratch? Is there any aircraft that you particularly want to fly?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I was going to suggest....................................Though Chris got there first!! :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Having just done a flight from Lyons to Courchevel in the Eclipse 550 in X-Plane with Ortho tiles for the Alps and X-Europe 5 all I can say is that X-plane with some selective free enhancements can be stunning. The landing was a touch hard (okay too hard - wrecked the gear) but the take off down that ramp after a reset is an absolute blast.

I got P3D v5 to fly some of brit stuff from Justflight but X-Plane is far and away the winner for me. But in the end it all depends on what floats your boat. P3D has the greater number of supported aircraft but X-Plane has the better performance and I prefer the X-Plane flight dynamics and with Ortho etc the scenery can be quite spectacular.

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

Post by paul26may »

Thanks for all the input chaps. I like the old stuff really, 1960 - 1980 I suppose. If I go for P3D will I be able to fly FS2004 and FSX compatible aircraft?

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

Post by paul26may »

TSR2 wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 16:43
I suppose the question is do you have any addons. Payware or otherwise for FSX that you want to keep using? Or are you happy starting from zero and downloading or buying everything from scratch? Is there any aircraft that you particularly want to fly?
VC10, 707, Vanguard, Comet - you get the picture I think?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

No, not necessarily in V5. Same with X plane. The newer you go, the less old stuff will work. P3D5 will need models that were built using a newer version of the software development kit, some built using the FSX one might work, but might not.

I’d stick with FSX for another few months until you can compare X Plane with MS2020. That would be a much better comparison.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage