Just Flight VFR NexGen 3D

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dallachy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Just Flight VFR NexGen 3D

Post by Dallachy »

Hi,
Has anyone used any of these products? Specifically interested in the quality of the aerial imagery in West Central Scotland (Glasgow / Lanarkshire) and how it compares to the old Horizon products. I've tried the demo area (Kinloss in the Scotland set) and I'd like to know if people have good or bad comments about other parts of Scotland.

I'm using FSX so can't use Orbx True Earth, which is what I've had suggested on other forums when I've asked about this product!

Thanks
Pete

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Just Flight VFR NexGen 3D

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Pete and firstly welcome to our Forum, you will find everyone here friendly and helpful.
So, on with your question of aerial imagery, unfortunately as FSX is only 32 bit application ORBX could not find a way round for the True Earth Sceneries to be ported over and therefore they will not be doing anything for FSX apart from the EU Series of England, Scotland and Wales.

I cannot comment on the Just Flight Version of NextGen 3D as I no longer run FSX but have found something as an alternative for you and it is free though cannot comment as have not used it.

Hope this helps you in some way. One thing I am not sure about in this link is whether the sceneries flatten out once you are down to ground level or have 3D buildings.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4948

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Welcome aboard Pete.

I haven't used the Just Flight product, as the original version of it wasn't considered as good as the Horizon Simulations product at that time. I like the Horizon product, but bare in mind, the imagery is now quite old, so if your primary concern is something that's reasonably up to date, its probably not for you.

The other product that I would say is essential for flying in Scotland is the Scotflight.... I've just checked, and they are no longer for sale which is a real shame. They do have a range of Freeware products now, so they might be worth a look. These include Glasgow, Edinburgh and Prestwick. I havent tried these myself as I have the older products which are no longer available.

As I recall, the original JustFlight VFR was darker than the Horizon product, but the current version may be better.

Hope thats of help.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Dallachy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Dallachy »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not new to FSX, just haven't used it regularly for quite a while and was looking to get back into it. I have all the Horizon areas and I was always annoyed by the poor quality of the imagery over Glasgow. I've got the Scotflight products too, and a fair number of UK2000 airports.

I was just interested in whether or not it was worthwhile trying the NexGen 3D for Scotland. I tried Orbx EU for Scotland and Northern Ireland (picked them up cheap in a sale last year) and while I felt it was an improvement on Northern Ireland (probably because I don't know they area in real life), it just felt wrong in places that I did know well. I know the Kinloss area well enough that trying the Nexgen 3D demo was nearly enough to buy it, but if the imagery in Central Scotland isn't much better than Horizon's then it would be annoying.

I suppose £25 isn't a huge amount for the whole of Scotland! Just Flight have the bundle reduced in their summer sale but unfortunately not the individual packs.

Pete

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Ah I see now. I’m not a massive fan of the non photo orbx stuff. I made my own photo tiles for Northern Ireland with help from George years ago, but I’ve subsequently lost them. I’m going to wait and see what FS2020 turns out like before investing in anything significant now.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

JKAGary
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by JKAGary »

Hay Pete,

Like you still stuck on FSX and I pondered getting VFR Next Gen 3d but For Free Photoscenery of Scotland (with autogen) - try this one mate,

https://italyphotoreal.weebly.com/download.html

I know it says Italy but go to the bottom of the page and download the files UK01 to UK 07. These are photoscenery packages for all of Scotland with Autogen included. The download links look dodgy but select 'download' they'll be fine.

There are some anomalies in some of the areas but I can live with it. I initially installed the whole Scotland package but over time what i've done is merged the autogen from these files with my horizon Scotland north and south scenery - and used the photoreal set for the 'missing' Horizon central Scotland. Pretty happy with the results and Scotflight works a treat with it - and it was free!

Any issues or concerns drop me a PM I can outline what I did to merge all the packages and if need be give you a copy of my setup.

I also used this site and pretty much have the whole of Italy and France photoreal with autogen (though the overall size is pretty hefty)

Cheers
Gary

Dallachy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Dallachy »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that link, the Central Scotland imagery is better than the Horizon one, more recent and at first glance looks better quality too. The Autogen seems pretty good too.

Pete