Which Version of MS2020 Would You Buy?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Which MS2020 will you buy?

Poll ended at 12 Aug 2020, 18:44

No purchase
11%
Standard
5%
De-Lux
3%
Premium
30%
Will Wait
43%
Will Not Purchase
8%

Total votes: 37

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Which Version of MS2020 Would You Buy?

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I've had some discussion about MSFS2020 with Nigel and he knows my thoughts, but I can't help but look at the beta videos and think it's the usual stutter fest graphics wise from Microsoft. It also appears a little cartoon like at times and the general look overall, somehow reminds me of the sim from days gone by called Fly! 2.

I'm just not sure about it and with X-Plane giving me results like this (pre Vulkan), I don't think MS will see my money.

A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I've had some discussion about MSFS2020 with Nigel and he knows my thoughts, but I can't help but look at the beta videos and think it's the usual stutter fest graphics wise from Microsoft. It also appears a little cartoon like at times and the general look overall, somehow reminds me of the sim from days gone by called Fly! 2.

I'm just not sure about it and with X-Plane giving me results like this (pre Vulkan), I don't think MS will see my money.
I had voted Will Wait as I am still unsure about MS2020, those screen shots showing comparison with X- Plane 11 for example, there is not much difference between the 2 apart from clouds and the way the weather has been modelled, I am enjoying the Beta Version with Vulkan et all, so smooth in flight and even though I have been swaying towards MS2020 my thinking is I have had X-Plane 11 for the past 2 years and I cannot really justify spending more money on a sim that, graphically, will be not much different to the other (Orbx Sceneries TE). I only fly in the UK apart from a few hops into France and Switzerland but not that often. I am not interested in America or any other country.

Maybe next year or much later but at the moment, I am quite happy with what I have got even though some of my posts have been positive towards MS2020.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I still remember MS Flight :help:
George

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

May or may not sway anyone, but here's some videos I've been watching on FS2020 now that the media embargo has been lifted -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oHHfyBlZoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHqHrPBkD8s&t=1942s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0lpPDYZZs

It's important to note here on Quill's videos - the first two videos show stutters, but that's because of OBS, not the Sim. He mentions several times in both that he's seeing smooth frames and his quality settings are pretty much as high as they go.

Second, here are his specs - Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.6GHz, GeForce GTX 1080 (no, not a 1080Ti), 32GB of RAM, Windows 10, FS2020 is installed on an SSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHEu3WWFqM (4K footage)

I've heard several streamers/youtubers, including a couple that are not major sim guys as their primary content, say they're extremely impressed with the sim.

Also, I would suggest you read this post from Robert Randazzo - https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum ... of-simming .

Of all the people that I would have expected to be Extremely pessimistic of the new sim considering his history with Flight! and MS as a whole, his article here was enough of a sway, that I went from waiting until release day (or a few days after) to pre-ordering today. I've heard rumblings from a couple other devs along the same lines as well, so he's not the only one who has been convinced by the team behind MSFS.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

i will try it with my XBox Gamepass and see if its up to the hype

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have to admit that the scenery is very good but one thing really bothers me, on the last video watch the control inputs on the aircraft, they are, to me, jerky, not smooth at all especially when flaring for the landing. Sudden movements are made on the elevators and are not gradual or smooth unless there was a lot of turbulence but that was highly unlikely.

My guess is that on setting up the sim, there will/is some work to be done in altering the control responses so that you can obtain a reasonable amount of control input without the aircraft becoming twitchy on the controls which could be seen especially on the landings.

Guess I am lucky in a way of having a yoke that has greater movement than a joystick therefore reducing the latter quite a bit. Maybe it was that the person making the video does not often fly in simulators but no attempt was made to round out on a couple of landings resulting in an arrival of sorts. :doh:

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I’d suggest that no matter the sim different aircraft behave differently, I can think of plenty of aircraft that need significant control inputs and some that don’t require any. All anyone can gauge from videos with any certainty is how “pretty” or otherwise something is. Imho.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Discovered the other evening I've had an invitation to the party from MS sat in my junk email folder for a couple of months 8)
Dale
Image Image Image

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Posting this video as shows a variety of situations, what I have to say is that the water effects are brilliant, ObsidiantAnt who made this video lso points out about the rudders being overly sensitive but hopefully this should be rectified at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RhQwljiG4

Regards
Nigel.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I pre-ordered premium today, I know there was no reason to do it so early, but know I was going to do it so I did.

One strange thing I noticed, I wanted to pay using PayPal but for whatever reason it would not let me pay using the balance I had in my account, I could only do a bank transfer, weird.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.