HP Reverb G2 (pre-order before 31st July to avoid price hike)

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

HP Reverb G2 (pre-order before 31st July to avoid price hike)

Post by spatialpro »

I'm a long-time fan of flying in VR (and an Oculus Rift CV1 user... earlier this year I almost upgraded to the Rift S, but decided to hold out a little longer). There is a new headset on its way which will be a significant upgrade for most (perhaps even Valve Index users), the HP Reverb G2. This is getting a lot of press and one YouTuber MRTV - MIXED REALITY TV has been giving rave reviews with the pre-production model he has been using. MRTV is especially good in that he is coming more from the simulator side of things (rather than games) and keeps referencing simmers. He has also previewed the G2 "through the lens" using a flight simulator, which looks to be XP11.

The HP Reverb G2 is due to ship "from September 2020", but they have been taking pre-orders in the US for a while now. More recently pre-orders were available in Germany and very recently in the UK, thanks to systemactive.co.uk One of the main selling points of the G2 is the cost/benefit, i.e. the step up in quality is very good for the US$599 pre order price. System Active are doing pre-sales at £525 (inc. free delivery), but only until this Friday, 31st July. If the German pre-order site is anything to go by the price will then jump to >£600. I only found out about this iminent price-hike last night, so this morning I pre-ordered mine. I thought it would be good to spread the word as widely as possible, hence this post :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wlEbD5vxk

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: HP Reverb G2 (pre-order before 31st July to avoid price hike)

Post by Nigel H-J »

That looks really good Andy and very much clearer and sharper than the Rift S, of which I did have until returning as I was not impressed with it.

However, what I am waiting for is the new Oculus VR headset that is going into production this month and may well be worth looking at when more information regarding performance comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Indeed, I've been keeping a close eye (pun!) on that too. I suspect it will be cheaper than the G2, but by how much? We also have to wait for the specs (another pun?!). In the absence of these I've taken a calculated risk and gone for the G2.

The new Oculus product may have the same resolution as the Quest, or it might be higher, but I doubt it'll challenge the G2. It might have physical IPD adjustment (yesterday's leaked photo was interesting), or it may not. It may be front-heavy (like the Quest) and less comfortable than the G2 (esp. given the cheap-looking head strap), or it may be light as a feather. It seems likely have inferior speakers to the G2. I figured if the cost/benefit were going to be a serious challenge to the G2 Oculus would at least have published the specs and a rough price by now so as to stall/steal some of HP's market. The fact they haven't spoke volumes to me and therefore I've splashed-my-cash.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

After I sent my Oculus Rift S back I have been quite disillusioned with VR even though users say how good it is but the problem may very well have been due to my IPD not being within the boundaries for using Oculus Rift S. :dunno:

Maybe later this year or even next year one may come out that ticks all the boxes including the G2 but will wait for what users say about it and be interesting to see whether there is any screen door effect or if it has been significantly reduced to being hardly noticeable! *-)

Regards
Nigel.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

A general question for all of you who use VR goggles, do any of you wear glasses and if so how does it work with them?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

I use Rift S which is designed to accomodate glasses and it works well for me.
Steve M

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

It appears the price via System Active was increased this afternoon (a day earlier than anticipated), from £525 to £639 :|

I wonder if the timing has anything to do with the news MSFS will now support VR at release, but only for the G2?! *-)

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I wonder if the timing has anything to do with the news MSFS will now support VR at release, but only for the G2?! *-)
Now that would not surprise me in the least, maybe like other companies they have suffered due to poor sales as employees have been laid off and therefore people don't have as much money to splash around as before. Time will tell!!

Regards
Nigel.