MSFS 2020 First Impressions

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Re: MSFS 2020 First Impressions

Post by PeteP »

Filonian wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 11:56
ICAOs need a bit of work from what I have seen so far in in Yorkshire, e.g. Church Fenton EGCM?
Well, as I mentioned to Ben in a previous post, I'm a bit out of touch with codes but isn't EGCM the correct ICAO location indicator for what's now known as Leeds East airport? I guess the original code of EGXG would have been cancelled when RAF Church Fenton closed some years ago.

Pete

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Just looked this up, and your right Pete. I think the issue is that its still referred to as Church Fenton in the Sim
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

TSR2 wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 12:13
Completely agree Graham, there’s loads like that. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that so many old airfields have been created, even one that are no longer in use, but if it currently doesn’t have an icao code then they should have come up with a naming scheme that didn’t use legitimate icao’s.
Agreed Ben. Another EGMG Salmesbury has become "Melrose Farm."

Just takes the edge of what looks to be a very good sim.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Ohm dear Graham, I think I'm going to make myself very unpopular with you but Salmesbury was never EGMG. According to my (admittedly out of date ICAO Doc 7910) Salmesbury was EGNG which was re-allocated to Bagby after Salmesbury's closure and this is correct in the sim.

The sim does indeed have EGMG for Melrose Farm but it didn't come from Salmesbury - until recently, it was an unallocated code so it's just possible that it's now been allocated to Melrose Farm but I'd need to get hold of an up to date copy of Doc 7910 to be sure.

Pete :hide:

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

PeteP wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 15:19
Ohm dear Graham, I think I'm going to make myself very unpopular with you but Salmesbury was never EGMG.

Pete :hide:
No problem Pete. 'Twas just what came up when I put it into Google.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

My understanding is that the sim is being update with each AIRAC cycle so I suspect where an airfield has an ICAO designation the current one is being used.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

In my earlier review I said....
The Worries

I can see that MS are plugged in to the third party payware developer community (and that's a big plus) but I'm not clear how friendly this sim is going to be to the amateurs. Will we see the rich range of quirky aircraft that we have for FS9 & FSX eventually? I hope so.
Well! Having seen the work done on add-on liveries for the A320, I needn't have been concerned.

Firstly, there is now a colossal range of them already in an "megapack" over at https://www.msfsaddons.org/liveries/liv ... egapack-v6

Secondly the way of implementing new liveries by simply dropping them into the Community folder of FS2020 is way easier than the old way of fiddling with .cfg files.

The future is bright, the future is orange. Oh wait, wasn't that the Easyjet slogan???? (Or possibly not)

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Not that I spend much time outside looking in but having a few different liveries is useful and, as John mentions, installing them is simplicity itself.

Taken on a flight from Manchester to Heathrow at 10.06 this morning with real-world weather.

Pete

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

That looks cracking. :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Pete, that is stunning, don't think I would want to come down into the clouds, would be quite happy to remain upstairs admiring that view.

Just had a look at that link and have seen some of the free-ware airfields being put up. There appears to be some very good developers there willing to put their work up so others can enjoy, some very good airfields.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.