MSFS 2020 First Impressions

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: MSFS 2020 First Impressions

Post by Chris Trott »

You can also use Snapper - http://www.michielovertoom.com/software/snapper/

It's been around forever, and still works for P3D and (I think) will work fine in MSFS but I haven't tested the overlay yet. It uses FSUIPC for the positioning and I've not put in the FSUIPC 7 BETA yet so I haven't seen if it works okay or not, but I see no reason why it won't.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Airtrooper wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 16:52
Hi Joe,

Did you buy via Steam, Windows App Store or XBox Game Pass? I'm wondering if this has an influence.

Andy
I preordered through the Flightsimulator.com website and then downloaded using the Windows App Store. The reason its not working for me may be related that I use a gaming laptop rather than a traditional keyboard so to get to the Prt Screen button I need to push the 'FN' key, maybe that in combination to windows might work, will try that later.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I spent most of today in the Great Rift Valley in Kenya... and Tanzania, am very impressed with the accuracy of the Rift and i was able to find all the bits that I’m familiar with and did not need a map...I love this Sim and will just stay with it...The only thing I will add to it are any updates from Microsoft.

I think it will take me some time to get used to the UI and get to remember where it all is...I have seen lots of things that I would like to find again but can’t!...Like some where I saw something about “Incorrect Heading, Press 7 to correct” I would love to stop that thing coming up!!

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Just did a short hop from Walney over the Lake District to Carlisle using real weather in the 208. It's a bit windy! Quite a struggle over the tops and in to Carlisle itself, particularly as it only has an East/West runway (more or less). Probably the best experience in a sim in that part of the world ever. Carlisle airport is no great shakes but at least it has a runway. It was good to see the turbines spinning at quite a rate of knots and the wind socks moving well also. Certainly felt the effects in flight.

I also discovered that joystick assignments are context sensitive so as in other sims you can assign internal and external view movements to the hat switch.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

So, my impressions - overall, it's solid. Much more solid than FSX was when it first released. I'm happy with the basis for it and can't wait to start putting in my usual addons as they come out the next few months. It's really cool seeing the landmarks actually showing up right and most houses (at least in the US) looking generally correct. I think as Bing's ortho imaging gets better now that it's a focus point for them, the 3D buildings will continue to improve. I don't think that we'll see any of our favorite scenery devs go anywhere though. There's plenty of room for them to make beautiful airports and areas and Microsoft seems more than happy to let them do it since on release day, BluePrint's new Denver was right there on the Marketplace.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

It's in the Assists menu Peter. I can't remember what that is either but probably under Options. I've closed down the sim and have to run but you should be able to find it with only a day or two of searching! Unlike the rift we could do with a map. :lol:

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

The most useful thing I've discovered so far is that if you enable Developer mode (in the General Options) you can change the aircraft and position at an airport without having to go back to the Flight Planner. You'll get a small toolbar at the top and under Windows there are options for Aircraft Selector and Teleport Window. Under the Options drop down you'll get a proper Pause and you can select Crash Detection off, which let me watch a King Air fall all the way into the valley from Lukla...

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Sounds like a nice sim. Have to wait for VR support.
Once you go non-flat you can't go back. :lol:

What versions has everyone plumped for? Because of the extra features I'm looking at getting the full monty.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Not too sure I like it. That feller wi' the barrer could do with more training.

Flew Leeds to Teesside and found after parking that several keys and panel swithches had ceased to work.

Early days though. It's an awful lot for an old head to get round.

Graham
Last edited by Filonian on 22 Aug 2020, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

When I can assign controls like mixture cut off to my throttles and find the right settings for sensitivity then I will come back to it.

Now back with P3DV5.

Nev