MSFS Data Caching

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

MSFS Data Caching

Post by chrispbits »

I've been playing around with caching of data. I did most of East Anglia and the San Francisco area in medium detail. Objectively caching San Francisco improved terrain loading performance in that area substantially although it still didn't resolve the problem of some popping scenery, reduced yes but not resolved entirely. It's possible to cache scenery data in low, medium and high resolution. Medium serves pretty well and is probably sufficient for most cases. According to MSFS East Anglia takes up 2.7Mb and San Francisco 374Mb (for the area I've cached). East Anglia is quite a bit bigger in area so I'm not sure if the space used is accurately reported. To move between low, medium and high you have to zoom in and out of the area you wish to cache. It's not too time consuming for small areas but is a pain for much larger areas.

A tip with respect to dynamic and static caching - by default caching is to the C:/Users/Yourname/Appdata/Local/Flightsimulator folder but can be changed to a folder of your choice. I've got both mapped to my D drive. You can set the limits for dynamic and static caching as you wish and change when needed. Reasonably intuitive to set up.