To go or not to go Prepar3d v5.1, that is the question

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ajb
Comet
Comet

To go or not to go Prepar3d v5.1, that is the question

Post by ajb »

Hi,

With apologies to the Bard for paraphrasing Hamlet's soliloquy!

I have been running FSX for years but since upgrading my PC and investing in a few nice new turboprops and scenery I am constantly getting OOMs in FSX. I don't want to jump into the new Microsoft sim for a while so I am looking at Prepar3d as a possiblity to preserve all the most recent investments in addons and get better performance AND not to get memory crashes as I approach a payware airport.

Simple question, is P3d a good way to go? Any opinions will be most welcome.

Andy
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 4.2GHz
AsusTeK Prime B450M-A Motherboard
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 4Gb
3x 250Gb SSD + 1x 1Tb HDD

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: To go or not to go Prepar3d v5.1, that is the question

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Andy, the problem with FSX is that it is 32bit and therefore you are limited as to the amount of RAM it can take whereas P3D is now 64bit which means it is not as limited as FSX is.

If you have spent a lot of money on FSX and do not want to lose out on your recent investments then I would suggest P3D is your preferred option for the simple fact is that you should be able to port over some of your investment to that platform.

I do not have P3D nor MS2020 but do have X-plane 11 which would not be able to carry over your add-ons, I too uninstalled FSX as compared to X-Plane 11 the flight dynamics are far superior to FSX but by doing that I have had to wave goodbye to a lot of investment and having tunnelled more money to X-Plane 11 I am not in any hurry to buy MS2020 even though the weather in MS is by far much better but the aero dynamics are more or less equal to each other. So staying where I am for the time being.

I would honestly say that you best option is as written above.....P3D.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

As Nigel had said, P3d is 64bit, so you're not going to run out of memory in the same way as Fsx, however, with v5 they went to direct X 12, which brings its own problems with the amount of vram used and it can easily ctd if you use lots of add-ons. I see you've got a 2060 with 8gb. That should be fine if you're not trying to run the sim at 4k resolutions but it's something to be mindful of.
Dave G.

ajb
Comet
Comet

Post by ajb »

Nigel/Dave,

Thanks for your input which is most helpful. As I suspected P3d seems to be the way to go if I want to protect most of my recent investments in flightsim. I've had the Xplane11 demo for a while now but I don't want to have to learn a whole new sim having been used to the Microsoft offerings since FS2000. At some stage I will upgrade to the new Microsoft sim but that's for another day!

Andy
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 4.2GHz
AsusTeK Prime B450M-A Motherboard
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 4Gb
3x 250Gb SSD + 1x 1Tb HDD