UK2000

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: UK2000

Post by Vc Ten »

TSR2 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:54
That's why I put 2FA on Aharon.
+1 :thumbsup:
I keep a card topped up with a few hundred each month. This is my hobby fund and car fuel only. If its compromised I only loose a few hundred quid at the most. I'm with Ben, rather have one or 2 web sites store my details than dozens. I tend to only use PayPal now, if the site I'm buying from supports it
Dale
Image Image Image

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Do not understand what is 2FA????? *-) *-) *-) *-) *-) :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

2 Factor authentication, sometimes called MFA or Multi Factor Authentication. Basically you log in with your username and password, and in the case of PayPal they send a text message to your phone with a code which is only valid for 10 minutes. You have to enter the code in the text message otherwise you don’t get in. So even if someone gets your password, they can’t get in unless they also have your phone and can read the text message sent to you to get the code too.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks for interesting explanation,TSR2

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just be aware if you do have an account with PayPal and have not used it for a year they are set to introduce an annual fee of up to £9 for users whose accounts have been inactive for a year or more which is fair enough but wonder if a time will come whereby they do charge an annual fee just as banks have been thinking about!!

I never leave my card number for future use with any company but with Amazon, when I have purchased items asked me if wish to leave my card details for future purchases, I always decline but have to go into my account to physically remove my card which is bl**dy annoying! Every time I use them this has happened!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I cancelled my Amazon account in March. So many failed to deliver (with Hermes) so I killed it. We were spending about £10K a year with them, and they wouldn't stop dispatching with Hermes, so much like a real shop, I stopped buying from them.

The issue with entering your card details each time, isn't just that they can be stored on the website you are buying from. If they are a small business and have embedded payment screens, the card details can be harvested if their website has been hacked (and they often don't realise this). As a result, even if your card details are not saved, the information can still fall into the hands of criminals. Similarly, if your own PC or phone has been compromised its the same issue. With 2FA or MFA, even if they get your information, they can't get the code from your phone, so they can't process transactions.

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Cheers Ben, sometimes I think that technology can be too much of a bad thing. I have only had one instance of an item not arriving from Amazon and was soon sent a replacement when I e-mailed them.

Just wonder whether with some of the couriers such as Hermes as well as DHL FedEx there is a certain amount of pilfering going on even though all items are bar coded before despatch!!

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

A friend of mine used to work in Hermes head office outside Leeds. As part of their induction they were taken to see how it works from receipt of parcel to delivery. If punters new they would never use them. Basically big Hermes branded Wagon turns up at this farm on the outskirts of Leeds. Drives into a barn. The self employed couriers then take the parcels for their route and put them in the back of their cars which were in varying states of repair (although road legal one would assume.) The heavy packages are stacked up around the wagon, the lighter ones thrown to piles for each route. The courier has to decide if he or she is willing to lift a package that could already be broken. If they take it and its already broken, its on them. If they don't take it, you don't get a notification, it just isn't delivered. Now the interesting bit. If its not delivered, the sender doesn't get notified. If the recipient notifies the sender that the parcel hasn't been received, the sender has to contact Hermes who will take between 2 and 4 weeks (depending on the senders contract) to conduct and investigation and then a further 4 weeks before the sender is reimbursed (and then they can reimburse the customer.) Its what's commonly referred to as a racket. And that's before you look at any other issues they have around their vetting process for couriers (most of which are just ordinary folk getting paid a tuppence and trying to do a job).

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

That is shocking Ben, I have always wondered about Hermes deliveries as all of the vehicles have been unmarked (private cars) and thought it was a bit strange not having any vehicle with their logo on. Also makes you wonder even if the vehicles are insured for business use which they would legally have to be. I even wonder how many couriers delivering food be it Chinese, Indian or from Kentucky, McDonalds have business insurance.

When I had to have a complete career change after my HGV Licence was revoked on medical grounds and after fruitless searches on the jobs market, I was asked if I would consider Employment Training as a sales rep for a parcel delivery company. Desperate for work after being on the sick for over 2 years ( 4 operations and physio) I agreed.

This was with Panic Link (which was taken over by French Company GeoPost now gone into administration). Went for the interview at a depot in Lincoln which was basically a franchise for the main company operating in Leicestershire.

I did not receive any training and was there until just four days before Christmas when I was told my job had finished, the chap who bought the franchise was nearly £60,000 in the red!! :doh: During my four months there I had found quite a number of new customers, this was in-between having to muscle in with collections and deliveries, there were a lot to be honest, stretching all across Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire but the biggest stumbling block then was down to payments.

To give an example, a parcel is being delivered from Lincoln Depot to Southampton now that parcel would have cost say £9 (discounts were given depending on the number of items) so if batched it could be around £7 or less (this was back in the early 1990's) The despatching depot (Lincoln) would get 25% as would the receiving depot with the main company HQ getting 50% of that package so when you actually take in all costs such as wages, fuel, vehicle purchase or hire, costs of maintaining the depot, business rates, telephone charges etc etc. it all added up to a very poor deal for the franchise holder who had to let go of the franchise or suffer more losses hence being told my job was no more.

I did enjoy the challenge but when getting a large order from a manufacturing company in Nottingham which would have meant a heck of a lot of movement per day I had to approach head office for special rates and, as you can probably guess, they took on the company directly leaving Lincoln out in the cold!! :rant:

My working day started at 07.30hrs and sometimes I did not get home until 23.00hrs all for unemployment pay plus £10 as well as sometimes having to use my own car!! :wall:

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Ahhh the wonders of online shopping and the demise of Department stores and big box stores. Are we really better off now since the rise of online?

You cannot tell the quality or feel of an item online. You have to wait weeks for delivery and then when you query it's non arrival they dain to inform you it was not in stock at time of order. "Would you like to re-order?" Or it arrives damaged or wrong item or quantity or color. Aaaargh!

The Aggravation I have experienced from first Wayfair and recently Amazon is a tale in itself. And I wonder why my hair is turning white.

Is the interweb a good thing overall? You have to wonder.

Rant over. :cheers:
Alex