MSFS2020 and VR, GPU recommendations?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

MSFS2020 and VR, GPU recommendations?

Post by DogTailRed2 »

I have a 1070ti and a CV1 for VR.
Thinking of upgrading the CV1 to a Quest 2.
Suggestions on a new GPU in what has become a dessert for new card availability?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: MSFS2020 and VR, GPU recommendations?

Post by Nigel H-J »

Suggestions on a new GPU in what has become a dessert for new card availability?
I am new to the world of virtual reality but to give you some idea my computer is now just over 2 years old and I have a RTX 2070 Graphic Card which I find to be enough to run VR in X-Plane 11 comfortably, the only slight problem I have is with pay-ware airports and dense scenery where settings have to be reduced to take that into account.

I am sure that others here with more experience can offer more help than I have done.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

You'll be lucky to find a grahics card in stock and at a decent price at present.
Your best bet is to use Telegram on your phone to sign up to FE PartAlert which will give you instant alerts for Nvidia 3000 series Founders Edition cards when they go on sale at Scan.co.uk.

When you get the alert, you click the link, go through a security process and have minutes to add the card to your basket and pay before they go out of stock again.
The cards only come up every few weeks and you can get an RTX 3060ti for £380 inc postage. They currently sell on ebay for around £1000.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Sensible approach is not to buy any graphics card until the end of the year. Prices are almost double what they should be because of the supply issues and you’ll find in 12 months the newer / better cards will be half of what you’ve paid… if you can actually find one.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

I got a new PC last September and it was fitted with an RTX 2070 Super. It ran FS2020 quite well but when paired with a Rift S was just about at it's limits. I upgraded the Headset to a Reverb GS and the GPU was struggling so I changed it for a 3070. I wanted a 3080 but absolutely no chance of getting hold of one for anything less than 100% over the RRP.

Even the 3070 doesn't excel at VR and whilst it is totally immersive occasional stutters and lower than desired settings are something I have to accept. Basically MSFS 2020 in VR with high or ultra settings is a real resource muncher so if you find a combination that works for you go for it! It's a balancing act of settings and resources.

Hope that helps

Brian

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

With a 1070 by far and away the best option is AFS2. Performance in VR is good to very good. I had the 1070 and XP was a non-starter so I don't believe MSFS would be viable without a compromise too far.