Why Is There No Payware Trident?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Why Is There No Payware Trident?

Post by Aharon »

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I am wondering why there is no high quality payware Trident for use of FSX considering the fact that Trident is as fun as 727?

Regards,

Aharon

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Why Is There No Payware Trident?

Post by Vancouver »

I think Just Flight did one, no idea if HQ or not though.

Ooops error it was the BAC 1-11 at JF - no idea if that was any good either.
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

There was actually a pay-ware Trident which was released on DVD but cannot remember the date, it was, as I remember, slated quite badly here because it just did not compare to the quality of DM's Trident. Had a quick look through past threads but cannot find it.

If you are looking for a Trident then DM's Trident is the best, it has also been beta tested by real Trident pilots such as Peter Mclelland who is very active here on our forum.

Although now a bit dated, it is still the best and does work in FSX as well as (I think) P3D. Now only wish it could be converted to X-Plane 11 (hint hint) :hide:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

It does work in P3D but I only get the 2D cockpit. no outside view either except Nav lights.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It was developed in FSDS which was never updated after FSX (possibly even before FSX, I can’t remember now). FSDS materials don’t work properly in later versions of P3D; I think they were ok of a fashion up until V3.

The reason there is no payware trident is a simple one, there’s no money in it. Something being payware does not mean it is of good quality. A lot are, but they are the aircraft that will sell 10000+ copies, so they can easily spend money on developing it and will get that money back. People have no idea of the hours it takes to build a half decent model for flightsim. It can take years and if there’s little or no money in it you need a proper job too. Add into the mix family, friends, other real world responsibilities and the time just isn’t there to make a model for a modern sim.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I migrated to P3d v4 from Fsx, soon after it launched, for the reason it would stop the out of memory issues that I was being plagued with in a 32 bit environment.
I flew Dave's models in Fsx and although built for fs9 worked fine. In fact better than most payware models.
Most folk seemed to think native Fsx models would work OK in P3d v4 64 bit environment, with mainly gauges being an issue if there was any at all.
Tom Gibson ran a very good tutorial (Cal Classics) on converting a fs9 model to native Fsx in Model Converter X. I ran the Trident through the procedure, and out it came (now with a separate interior mdl file) I still had Fsx at the time and it worked perfect.
Next stage was to try in P3d All worked OK the aircraft was visible and animations all worked. The only problem was no sounds. Searching the forums pulled up a 64 bit sound dll file. This renamed and installed cured the problem, and the aircraft worked just as well as it did in Fsx
I tried to contact Dave via a PM if he was OK in me sharing the files. I had no response.
Around the same time Dave's 1-11 was being converted supposedly with his permission :-
https://sites.google.com/site/fsxstuffb ... s/bac-1-11
I also converted the Comet, which also worked and flew fine in P3d
The aircraft were OK later in V5. 1
Its unfortunate, but without Dave's say so the files won't be leaving my hard drive. There are tutorials about and it's not that difficult to do. I could even pull a step by step procedure, together myself, but without P3d on my system, I would not have any way to test it worked
Dale
Image Image Image

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Thanks all for very very kind answers
TSR2 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:20
The reason there is no payware trident is a simple one, there’s no money in it. they are the aircraft that will sell 10000+ copies, so they can easily spend money on developing it and will get that money back.

I understand your reasoning but how come they were willing to make payware BAC1-11 jet and not Trident???

Nigel H-J wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 20:29
If you are looking for a Trident then DM's Trident is the best, it has also been beta tested by real Trident pilots such as Peter Mclelland who is very active here on our forum.
I agree with the fact that freeware DM Trident is best and yes I know who famous Peter Mclelland is. I am using freeware DM Trident and am very satisfied with it but the problem is quality of repaints that prevent me from making proper presentation of beautiful screenshots. Famous CBFSIM member by the name of FlyTexas did me great favor improving Channel Airways repaint to make it extremely crisp sharp livery with crisp sharp words. There is other CBFSIM member who did me great favor painting new super rare yellow British Airways/Northeast repaint with extremely crisp sharp words. However unfortunately, there are too many repaints for Trident that have too fuzzy words. I want to fly BEA Tridents but the repaints are fuzzy and not crisp sharp.

Hence me asking why no payware Trident for use of FSX

Once again, many thanks to all for kind answers.

Regards,

Aharon

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

So the BAC 1-11 was sold all over the world, even in the USA. In fact NASA continued flying one until quite recently.
This means there is a bigger market for that aircraft.

As for the repaint quality, that’s to do with MIPS. You have to remember it started off in FS2002. The later repaints done for the VA all used higher resolution, but the original ones can look a bit blurry now on modern systems. Again, you need to remember that when these were done 1024 x 768 was high end.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

TSR2 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:32
So the BAC 1-11 was sold all over the world, even in the USA. In fact NASA continued flying one until quite recently.This means there is a bigger market for that aircraft.
That is very interesting explanation
TSR2 wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 20:32
As for the repaint quality, that’s to do with MIPS. You have to remember it started off in FS2002. The later repaints done for the VA all used higher resolution, but the original ones can look a bit blurry now on modern systems. Again, you need to remember that when these were done 1024 x 768 was high end.
Yep I know I just wish there are crisp sharp repaints for freeware Tridents

Regards,

Aharon

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Freeware Trident model bases along with repaints have been moved to HJG website

lets hope somebody over there will paint high quality and crisp sharp BEA liveries for Trident model bases.

Regards,

Aharon