ORBX scenery - total confusion!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ajb
Comet
Comet

ORBX scenery - total confusion!

Post by ajb »

I'm now running P3d v5.2 with no problems. I have Orbx's EU England and EU Scotland installed and again, no problems. However I keep seeing on ORBX Central that there is also a TrueEarth Great Britain North, South and Central PLUS there is the Global range. Can anyone explain what all of these are and what differences they have? Also, which is the best one to install if that is a question that is possible to answer? :dunno:

Andy
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 4.2GHz
AsusTeK Prime B450M-A Motherboard
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 4Gb
3x 250Gb SSD + 1x 1Tb HDD

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: ORBX scenery - total confusion!

Post by DaveG »

EU England / Scotland are landclass products, basically the same tech as the default scenery, using generic textures for cities, villages, fields etc, but higher quality textures and more accurate placing.
TrueEarth is a photo scenery product with autogen. Takes up a huge amount of disc space but it looks much better IMHO.
Dave G.

ajb
Comet
Comet

Post by ajb »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for clearing up my understanding of the TrueEarth products, I hadn't realised that the EU stuff was similar tech to the default. If I want to install TrueEarth do I need to uninstall the EU packages?

Also, what is the Global range all about?

Andy

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I think Global is similar to the EU sceneries, i.e. landclass, covering the whole globe, but more generic. I've never used it myself though so I'm a bit vague on the details!
You don't need EU or Global if you're using TrueEarth, and it's advisable to remove EU to avoid any conflicts, and it would be redundant anyway
Dave G.

ajb
Comet
Comet

Post by ajb »

Thanks for your help Dave, I think I can see my way forward now.
Andy

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Personally I have lots of ORBX packages including most of the regions and a few True Earths. The TE packages are photogen scenery rather than land classes. I have a few TE packages but they are no longer installed, it tends to overload my system and they have what I consider an unforgivable fatal flaw in that they only have summer textures.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

As has been said, , Global is a world-wide landclass upgrade. Next move up is the specific regions like EU England. Then you have another step up with the True Earth regions, such as True Earth Great Britain South.

Why do they have both EU England, and True Earth Great Britain South, which covers a lot of the same area ? Because the True Earth series is more recent, a bigger download, but better than the old regions. Note ; not all the old regions have been superseded by True Earth - it depends on whether there is sufficient affordable data for that area.