HU DC6 and C74

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

HU DC6 and C74

Post by simondix »

Just been over to AVsim. Jen has uploaded an updated DC6 and a new old C74.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Re: HU DC6 and C74

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

This looks very nice, downloading as we speak,

Thanks for the Heads Up

bigred1970
Victor
Victor
Location: Seneca, SC USA about as far NW in South Carolina as you can get.

Post by bigred1970 »

just flew the c74. nice plane. I just wish there were better wasp major sounds out there. :dunno:

bigred1970
Victor
Victor

Post by bigred1970 »

I was thinking about using the sounds meant for the new starliner. do any of you know if the two engine types sound close enough that this would be realistic.?

also JBK. as long as your working on big propliners.... could you think about doing this one....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_XC-99

might as well go for the mama of them all. well except for the brabazon maybe

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The Starliner uses R3350's. They and the R4360 sound totally different. Go to CalClassic.com and download the DC-6 sound set.

bigred1970
Victor
Victor

Post by bigred1970 »

yes those sound are much better quality. though there still not the same engine....

I like the way that what ever commercial operator painted black streaks down the wings to cover the oil stains that the wasp major were notorious for leaving. even more so then most big radial engines. ;-)

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I just checked the folders (downloaded and installed and didn't really look at the files) and the C-74 includes sounds from the B377 that is available from CalClassic. These should be good for it. The DC-6 sounds from CalClassic would work best for the DC-6 as those models don't come with any sounds (they default to the DC-3).

bigred1970
Victor
Victor

Post by bigred1970 »

my issue with the sounds that came from the plane was that they were too repetitive sounding, this was really evident with the idle sounds. I am guessing that the sample was small...

the DC6 sounds are better in that respect and are from a non turbocharged engine. I have some great WoP sounds I can use but those are all from turbocharged engines and sound very muffled at song.

the star liner had turbo compound engines and have a distinct rushing sound at full song.... I think depending on the model of b377, there wasp major's were also turbocharged for more performance... (putting out like 4300 hp).

I know this is being picky but this I have yet to find good sounds from this particular engine. and it being the only 4 bank radial, I am betting that it sounded pretty distinctive...

Cathy Howat
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Cathy Howat »

I have asked Jens if he would consider the Lokheed CONSTITUTIOON. A double deck desgin developed for the USN and PAN AM, it sufferered form underpowered engines, two were built, both flew succefully, but the big radial used on the Strotcruiser were not available for this plane, with them she'd have been a succes, and Lockheed may never have built the Connie, hopefully Jens may put it on his to-do list. The great thin g about FS is that we can get to fly these great old birds :flying:
cathy

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

A quick Google indicates the B-36 had the same engines. There is a sound set for the B-36 but with the jets mixed in at Simviation. http://simviation.com/fsdsounds.htm near the end. But it also includes a sound.cfg without the jets.

So give it a try and see if it suits.