Sound on JF DC3

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Sound on JF DC3

Post by simondix »

As most of you may realise I am a DC3 nut. Got the MAAM and now the JF DC3. The sounds are what I am a bit curious about.

The package comes with two different engines models. 1 a PW and the other a Wright Cyclone. Both models sound the same. With the sound expansion they still sound the same but neither like any DC3 I have heard. Anybody got the package and thinks the same.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Re: Sound on JF DC3

Post by Fodda »

The cockpit and cabin soundproofing seem to be superb in mine. Once the engines have coughed into life, I can't hear them from inside the plane...

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I really don't believe the MAAM DC3s will ever be beaten in any aspect...I have always thought the MAAM sounds excellent so how do this JF ones sounds compare to the MAAM? As for the flight characterisics well...MAAM has to be the best in the World...It is the one flight sim aeroplane that makes me actually feel that I'm lifting off the ground on take-off *-)

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

I'm FSX only now Peter, and a TrackIR fan so although the MAAM DC-3 was bloody marvellous a few years back on my old FS9 setup, it really doesn't work too well for me any more. Non-clickable VC being the most annoying aspect of it.

The JF DC-3 has a lot more variation in models for a start, and the modelling looks fantastic to my non RL pilot's eyes. Smooth 3D gauges and a great VC. As for the flight model... Well I've never flown in one, I'm no master but it rolls, takes off, flies and cruises like an aeroplane to me... ;-)

Castering tailwheel was always a pain on the MAAm version, and is no different here... ;-)

Big bonus was getting the pack and expansion very cheaply by pre-ordering... Which gives me the Waco glider to tow, or be towed in as well as try and land in ploughed Normandy and Arnhem fields.

All told, I'm rather enjoying my (very quiet) DC-3, but I'll certainly be getting the MAAM FSX version as well when it finally arrives.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Fodda wrote:I'm FSX only now Peter, and a TrackIR fan so although the MAAM DC-3 was bloody marvellous a few years back on my old FS9 setup, it really doesn't work too well for me any more. Non-clickable VC being the most annoying aspect of it.
There was a clickable VC update on the MAAM DC3 models except the Floatplane...OK well FSX...I didn't know that the MAAM DC3 worked in FSX :)

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Peter,
The visuals are very good. The handling is very stable, perhaps heavy, not being a RW Pilot I would not know if that is realistic. I am going to put the MAAM sounds into the P and W version. If that is not the wright way round [my apologies] can someone let me know.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

simondix wrote:Peter,
The visuals are very good. The handling is very stable, perhaps heavy, not being a RW Pilot I would not know if that is realistic. I am going to put the MAAM sounds into the P and W version. If that is not the wright way round [my apologies] can someone let me know.
Yes, the MAAM DC3s use the R4D engine sounds...2 x 1350 hp P&W R1830-94 Twin Wasp engines.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Peter,

Thanks for that I had assigned the correct sound file. Only one aircraft has the Wrights.
Simon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

There was a clickable VC update on the MAAM DC3 models except the Floatplane
Hi Peter, cannot for the life of me find the clickable VC update for FS9, can you or anyone else give me a link to it so that when I go across to my stepson over Xmas he can download it for me.

Many thanks in advance.
Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Nigel H-J wrote:
There was a clickable VC update on the MAAM DC3 models except the Floatplane
Hi Peter, cannot for the life of me find the clickable VC update for FS9, can you or anyone else give me a link to it so that when I go across to my stepson over Xmas he can download it for me.

Many thanks in advance.
Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel,

I hope Peter doesn't mind me jumping in to help. It is the 'All Theaters' Expansion pack, which is found here

Merry Xmas,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't