DC's latest F14D

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

rohan
Trident
Trident

Re: DC's latest F14D

Post by rohan »

IIRC, the HUD used by Dino in all his models was originally developed by Rivco and Scott for the Acceleration FA-18 and was the first (and possibly is still the only) collimated HUD.

:welldone:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

JD..

If by the LSO strip you mean that horrible little 4-light bar that sat at the top of the screen.. that is not present ;) Takeoff roll and speed was excessively short/high on the old model (v2 dated 2007 or similar) but I don't think the same applies to the new one. The model I've just got rid of and this new one are about as different as 2 versions of the same model by the same developer can be :)
I'm not rubbishing the Iris $5 model.. even at it's full (then) price as I don't have it for reference :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Thanx for the other link - downloading now at a 3x better speed than Flightsim - getting between 160 - 180 KB/s - so my calculation of time is way out - 20 mins shown at this speed - so it appears I'm getting better than 1 MB/sec! Will have to wait though until locals stop d/l ing videos methinks...
Keith

Just had a very quick read of the very basics & done a hair raising flight. Very nice model, might take a little time to learn how to really fly it. Did manage to get it down in one piece, although I do have crash off! Just wish the panel lines were a bit more subdued though. Now need to look in the back seat!
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Keith :hello:

Yup.. I know these are supposed to be old aircraft now and as such, show the rigours of a life at sea (I know the feeling).. I also think the panel lines could have been a tad less prominent. Going to JD's comment about the HUD.. I'm not 100% struck on ones that show reflections of their surroundings. OK for dossing around but it makes carrier landings unnecessarily more difficult than they already are. You need to be able to see that bit of metal floating on the sea.. not a nice view of your helmet and visor :lol: Small points really ;)

BTW.. you don't get much fun time in one of these. I took off from Culdrose to find the Nimitz group off the IoS. Took me 4 or 5 attempts to trap (caused partly by the poor view through the HUD).. then decided I'd had enough and made my way back to Culdrose. However.. enroute, it seemed like a good idea to fly on to Guernsey and see how that turbulence affected the F14. TBH.. some mild buffeting.. nowhere near as dramatic as in the Heron. Lining up to land on 27 when I thought 'this sounds a bit quiet'. Ah yes.. I'd run out of go juice about half a mile short of the runway. Still.. a nice landing even though I carried on through a few houses :lol: I did spend a fair whack of time on reheat though. If you've got it.. flaunt it :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Angus Prune
Comet
Comet

Post by Angus Prune »

On the subject of F-14s has anyone else seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zjTdcX768

(It's the Iris one, not Dino's)
"I don't care how many times they go up-diddly-up-up; they're still gits."